A book that made a difference?

  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2012
      A book that made a difference?

      [ Have you ever read a book or watched a movie which made a real big
      difference to you Merlin? ]

      I don't think so. Certainly not a movie :- ) Perhaps the book that
      did make a difference to me was written by an American guy called Edward
      Lasker. It was called how to play chess. He wrote it in such a way that
      made it all so exciting :- ) I already knew how to play chess, since
      the age of seven, and was quite good at it. But I read this when I was
      twenty or twenty one and it INSPIRED :- ) He was not a top player but
      quite good. He was also a personal friend of Emanuel Lasker the three
      times world champion – not a relation, the name was just a
      coincidence; or maybe some way off relation. It was also by way of chess
      that I met so many people and also had job offers. To say nothing of
      having a lot of fun and nail biting times :- ))) Tis enough to give you
      a heart attack mate :- ))) So, yes, I guess that book made a difference
      to me :- ) I never became world champion, and it was also just a game
      and bit of fun for me, not a living. I did play the worlds number six
      however, and it was a close call – but I lost in the late endgame :-
      ) But it was fun. Games are supposed to be fun. I also enjoyed Greek
      Mythology stories as a little boy, they were exciting :- ) Especially
      the Iliad and the Odyssey.

      RW