Practical ideology

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2011
      Jim,

      I think the ideas of conservation and carbon allotments upset the individualist and/or nationalist mindset for two reasons. Regarding conservation, many fear that while such measures will preserve precious resources, they don't necessarily keep prices down. Concerning carbon allotment, it's difficult for those in the aforementioned frames of mind to grasp the concept of bio-interconnection. They're also concerned with enforcement realities and `fairness.' I think Zizek's solutions are intentionally dramatic, because they point to drastic measures already in place for far less consequential threats. Each has their peeves/concerns they feel justify more government intrusion. In a democracy, people should be able to influence their representatives on behalf of such concerns against the power of corporate elite. An elusive balance of power keeps everyone on their toes.