Re: American Nietzsche

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 29, 2011
      Wil,

      Ratner-Rosenhagen writes in "American Nietzsche" that one of FN's "rare discouraging remarks he made about Emerson was that he wished he were a little more American, or at least less `beclouded' by the obfuscating `milk glass' of `German philosophy'". Since I'm reading this from the preview at Google Books, I've no access to the footnoted source.

      The thing is, while there may be aspects of Emerson that stuck with Fritz, as far as proper influences go he pales to a minor detail in the face of FN's European and Classical roots.