Re: [existlist] Ideas fight for us

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2011
      Hi Mary, and Happy T-Day,

      Yeah, I had downloaded this piece when you had (I think it was you) recommended it a couple of weeks ago, and I have it on my Kindle. Can't wait to get to it.

      Thx,
      Wil

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2011
        Wil,

        Guilty as charged; 'twas I who posted the link. Davis' points regarding Event and Idea as critical for giving meaning and choice as arising in the gap between neuronal activity and action seem especially relevant to existentialism. Sampling Adrian Johnston and Catherine Malabou might be up next for me. I need a break from Hegel and the Right, Left, Young schisms.

        Thanks, I hope you enjoyed a feast of some sort. I observed yet another practically mandatory U.S. Christian myth laden national holiday with only a small portion of my overpopulated family. The only thanks offered were to the chef who prepared a non-authentic banquet of Moroccan fare. Cultural heresy, but oh so liberating.

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2011
          Mary,

          Yes, I visited with a few friends, broke my rule against eating mammals. Pulled pork. And turkey. I try to get my protein from fish and dinosaurs (fowl), only, but I often fail, anyway. Family's way up north, but I found myself descrying some of them anyway when the subject of "conservatives" came up. And I brought it up.

          I have a deep distrust of neurological discourse. After all, neuronal activity's relation to action is just as metaphorical and abstract as every other dualism. Neurons 'explain' no more than any other tissue. Life cannot be comprehended by understanding any discourse locked into 'cause and effect'. The regresses and other paradoxes are legendary. It is what Hegel calls knowledge through Understanding. It is limited by its apparent 'objectivity'.

          But I'll give it go (I mean the essay cited) this weekend. I have Malabou's book in pdf. on my Kindle. Every try at reading it has failed so far. I don't know why, but I just get very impatient with it. But everyone tells me that it is an extremely important text and that I should slog through it. Maybe I should get a physical copy?

          Yeah, I know what you mean about the Hegel thing. I am utterly burned out by the Left-Right tug of war. The God contingent are incorrigible. I knew a psychotic guy some years ago. I would ask him how he could believe things that were so obviously off the wall. He explained to me how he just couldn't do otherwise. These right guys are no better, in my opinion, Some years ago, Bob and I went over the last sections of the Phen, line by line. Hegel famously sublates God as a primitive alien picture-concept. But Bob insisted that God is retained because "we are all God, blah, blah, blah", and then tried to pull all kinds of -- well, deceits and insincerity. It got very heated, even personal. And when it was over, it was as if no discussion was had at all. Alan, on the other hand, goes way too far in the other direction, whatever that direction is. I can't tell. He tries to read Hegel as a Derridean of some kind. But Hegel is trying to actually put forth a philosophy, not just mess around with paradoxes. Younger academics are afraid to chase that tiger. This is why I like Zizek. He goes right into it.

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
            Mary,

            I slogged through Matt Davis' essay, but I have to say that I had to hold my nose the whole time. It was, at best, Sophomore level (it is apparently a student issue), and it should never have appeared in any journal. His 'take' on Badiou was, to say the least superficial (I would say stupid). I say 'take', because it really was taken -- from other unattributed sources. I can say this because I nearly sang his song before the words were read. I have seen that movie before. (I am speaking of the supposed "disastrous" anti-naturalism in Badiou).

            But matters are worse with Zizek, all of which was based on secondary sources, to wit, Johnson's texts. In any case, it is poorly edited, poorly written. It would be better to just discuss Badiou and Zizek than to back out all of the crap in this hero's homage.

            But before I go, let me say that the kind of "science" endemic of the state apparatus in Badiou does not include fuzzy warm authors like Greene or Hawking or Lisa Randall or any of the pure theorists contemplating the cosmos. These folks are a gross minority in the "sciences", most of whom are involved in less 'charitable' theory. Secondly, there is a reductionism inherent in the scientism of the academy that virtually erases the conscience of the field for the sake of its technocratic materialism. The APA was present during the adoption of "enhanced interrogation techniques"; the AMA put the kybosh on health reform; and the infusion of corporate and corporate-directed federal money in the Academy has greatly supported the military industrial complex, so-called.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
              Wil,

              Thank you for considering the paper, but I'm sorry it annoyed you. The quality of writing was apparent already in the abstract, but I was hoping you'd clear up (and you did) whether Davis accurately represented Badiou and Zizek's positions.

              I did notice the second hand sourcing which is regrettably how I obtain the gist of authors I haven't actually read, with the exception of Hegel, several of the existentialists in recent years, and of course Zizek.

              Business in the academy has been generally disastrous.

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                Mary,

                There's nothing wrong with secondary sources (I have read a few on Badiou, including Chris Norris' study text on Being and Event), except in cases like this where this fellow is just trying to curry favor with his imaginary audience. "Zizek, good; Badiou, disasterous." In actual fact, Zizek and Badiou are remarkably close on most political issues. Maybe I was just expecting more from that fancy cover page?

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                  Packaging is everything these days. It might be worth someone's time to approach the Journal's editors and broach the subject of quality academic writing, something I am able to recognize but not emulate. I was interested in the intersection of philosophy and the sciences as are Bill and others. Davis only briefly touched on these possible discussion points for us, so I was more disappointed in the brevity.

                • eupraxis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
                    Well, it was a student essay issue (Grad student), so ... oh well.