Bills modernity

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2011
      OK I reject the name existentialist. It is pretentious, pedantic and holds little meaning. Continentilist is even worse. Few besides acedemics have any idea what it means so I do not want to be called one. Athiest is vastly negative and leads to endless contention. I want to be a modernist and that is what I call myself. A modernist does not become dated. Thinking about the problems that beset manking and then writing about the situations makes me a modernist. When I quit thinking and writing I will cease my modernism. After I am dead I will cease my modernism and will become a dead thinker. That is why I cannot accept Hegel as a modernist. He may be a great thinker but he is not and has not been anything modern since his death. Now if you wish to read him as a great thinker do so by all means. He is however not a modernist and if he is all you read then neither are you.
      Modernism is endlessly involved and horribly exposed. The search engines are a boon to the modernist and the computer disseminates modern thoughts at a speed I could not imagine twenty years ago. A modernist can talk about old concepts but he can not live in a past reverie. Unless you can speak intelligently of the present world you are not a modernist. Ergo,Hegel non est modernist. Bill