Re: Hegel's modernity

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2011
      > Bill,
      > When Wil wrote...
      > "Physics within the last few decades has more or less confirmed that what we commonly understand as real is only apparently so, while at the same time this apparent reality is the one we insist on as our local reality where we have to live. But below the Planck numbers, contemporary physics is faced with describing a subtending reality that has no space or time, no objects, nothing to see, nothing to describe. The manifest world that we know is thus one that is constructing and deconstructing according to conditions that entail because nothing entails its except a rational necessity -- rational as knowable by our own rational mind, likewise reflecting the logic of ontology.
      > This open system is its freedom, if one that finds itself in its very difficulties."
      > ... he made the link between Hegel and modern physics. Hegel gave primacy to reason, not its practical application for weapons of mass destruction, but its description and dynamic relationship with science itself. Nietzsche and Sartre had opposing concepts of freedom, and if they had looked at the same scientific facts would have interpreted them completely differently, applying them to their political preferences. With Hegel thought is absolute.
      > Mary
      Mary, The open system seems a system that was based on numbers that fail to explain much of what we see and use today. It may feel good to have a past master explain a world that existed in a napoleanic mind but the real world marches on. I would like a fine tuned logical universe but science shows us a violent and often contradictory cosmos. If you simply forget all that has been learned,all we have built and destroyed then Hegel could be your man. It seems he gives you the freedom to live in a time suspended box of logical , self assumed walls. Logic breaks down at relative speeds and masses and those conditions exist in this universe. If you can live with the contradictions science has presented left unanswered and rely on thought as absolute then you rely on unproven and arbitrary set of assumptions that may or may not resemble proven expermental reality. I do not fault Hegel for building systems that worked in his time but many many things have been learned and much has changed since the French revolution and Napolionic wars. Indeed much has changed since JPS lived and wrote. I think that philosophy is in many ways an anachronism and the philosophy you long for to be a holy grail that will remain unfound. Thinking about thinking becomes more a mantra than a search for knowledge while looking into ones lap takes you closer and closer to eastern cyclical thinking. Is nervaqnah perfect, is the system more perfect the more simple it is constructed. The knowledge base is hundreds of times bigger than in 1800. That is thoughts that have multiplied and they just will not fit nicely in hegalian boxes. So I do not accept Hegels modernity and consider him ancient and nearly useless in the modern world.I do agree that JPS is also outmoded and politics may have taken away any philosophy in his writings. The post WW2 environment needed political order much more than it needed philosophical musings. I actually see the world as more ordered than in the times of Hegel or JPS. If philosophy returns to systems and navel gazing it will again fail to lead and will slip further into obscurity. Bill