Re: no sidewinder

  • William
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > It is interesting that the two inventors of the calculus, Newton and Leibniz, were empiricist and rationalist, respectively. Of course, Newton was also an alchemist and an occultist of sorts. The picture of the cosmos that we call Newtonian, in any case, is one that Hegel certainly rejected as incomplete and one-sided. But I think Newton would have thought so too, although for very different reasons. But I did not have that in mind, earlier.
      >
      > Physics within the last few decades has more or less confirmed that what we commonly understand as real is only apparently so, while at the same time this apparent reality is the one we insist on as our local reality where we have to live. But below the Planck numbers, contemporary physics is faced with describing a subtending reality that has no space or time, no objects, nothing to see, nothing to describe. The manifest world that we know is thus one that is constructing and deconstructing according to conditions that entail because nothing entails its except a rational necessity -- rational as knowable by our own rational mind, likewise reflecting the logic of ontology.
      >
      > This open system is its freedom, if one that finds itself in its very difficulties.
      >
      > Wil
      > Wil and Mary, a few comments. I was ignorant of the age of Hegel. That he saw Napolian was a real shock to me. I mean Husserel died in 1939 so they were in no way contemporaries. I do not accuse you of saying such but it was a most suprising anachronism to me. I mean
      Hagel was in the age of horse calvery and could have had little to learn from the coming explosion in science and technology. I see the continuum of problems that science has caused for philosophy since the time of Galleleo. I might agree with you that what science deals with is not the business of philosophy. When science seems illogical it does not violate logic, it steps outside logic and describes phenomina that were unknown in the former philosophic sphere. Early on I thought the Bohr model of the atom was badly flawed. When more complex models incorporated the dualism of the electron I knew that standard logic was violated and the world of quantum physics would operate within different parameters. Poor Hagel was so far before any quantum physics or Hubble cosmology that I see him as operating in another age. I think, that cosmology has shattered the logic of the old theocracys , it has reset the temporal framework of reality and suprisingly made it more precise. So we come from the world of Hagel with set logic, set in mathematics to a neather world set in vague probabilities and then back to a world with a set beginning and an end which seems traditionally logical. In these epocpcs of thought transference of specific sets of ideas is all but restricted. So for me to ask either of you to bring Hegel up to date is an unfair and impossible task. I do think it is possible to relate Fn or Sartre to modern physics and cosmology. They did not say much about future science but I do not think their writings refute the new ideas in any substantive way. Bill