Re: Winding down the rabbit whole?

  • fictiveparrot
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
      > What would you like me to discuss?
      > My reading tends to lean heavily towards
      > "escapist" fun reading, primarily fantasy
      > and mysteries. We can discuss the philosophical
      > implications of Mercedes Lackey's Five Hundred
      > Kingdoms series if you want to. :)

      There is philosophy in 'fun escapism' and to me as much of value in it as "great" philosophers. My point: anything that you are reading to spur thought is spurring YOUR thought, as no one can have it for you.

      Rodger Rabbit
    • Josie
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2011
        Speculative and coherent philosophical thinking is distinguishable from the common type, but both are inter-subjective activity. I don't buy into the death-of-the-author completely and acknowledge that 'coherent' only takes us further down and down . . . yet philosophy demands some rigor like any other specialty. I didn't want a hobbyist spinal cord surgeon.

        Mary