Re: Zizek on divine violence

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27 12:40 PM
      Mary,

      Thanks for your comments. I very much agree with what you say.

      It is up to us and our fellow citizens at the grass-roots level to get more involved in local decision-making and for us to put pressure on those at the top to respond to the demands of justice and progressive thinking.

      Jim
    • William
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 28 10:39 AM

        > Mary,
        >
        > Thanks for your comments. I very much agree with what you say.
        >
        > It is up to us and our fellow citizens at the grass-roots level to get more involved in local decision-making and for us to put pressure on those at the top to respond to the demands of justice and progressive thinking.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim, grassroots movements are often unstable and can run out of control. Look at the tea party, now it has morphed into a get Obama movement but on the way to this temporary meaning we have suffered a great deal of political damage. Those who seek local office can begin by wishing to be of service but underlying political motives often come to the surface. I strongly agree that if you want to get into politics you should run for office. Many people cannot run and working from the sidelines is most difficult. Dilitantte ad hoc movements grow in such vacuumes and morph wildly as membership developes. Look at the history of the Order of hibernians or the friendly sons of St. Patrick. Some stupid drinking club ends up the Nazi party but for what reason? Research Hell`s Angels and think of the crimes done in the name of a former fighter pilots group. SDS went terrorist and some of the catholic conservative groups have not even been infiltrated. If you want to meet new friends I would recommend Kiwanis,not radical political activists. Bill
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29 5:00 AM
          Bill,

          Rather than leaving the grass-roots political agitation to right-wing zealots or other nut-cases, I think progressive thinkers should try to organise and campaign.

          There is no substitute for face-to-face discussion and local meetings. Such community interaction takes place without the media distorting the issues.

          Jim
        • Josie
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29 7:23 AM
            Jim,

            It's amazing how many think democracy is strictly defined as voting but equally stupefying how this important right is being infringed. In several states new voter ID laws strongly discourage the already marginalized and disadvantaged, those very citizens whose representation is needed to balance power. In our state, voter IDs are mandatory and free, but the agency which issues them instructed employees not to tell applicants voter IDs are free and instead let them purchase the official state ID card. Documents required to obtain IDs strictly target economic status. And if a birth certificate and/or social security card is destroyed, lost, or stolen, you need money and/or ID in order to obtain copies! Also, many student IDs are no longer valid as voter identification.

            But grassroots organizing concerns more than voter registration drives, political rallies, attendance at hearings, demonstrations, etc. It involves community building such as health centers for the under/uninsured, literacy programs, job training, maintaining transportation infrastructure, adequate childcare, and so on. When needs are identified, programs require staffing and volunteers, as well as writing grants and soliciting funds. People need to be in the business of advocating and integrating their own concerns with those of their community. Existentialism is inter-subjective, not isolationist; being responsible for ourselves alone is insufficient for sustaining a community. And a community which disintegrates affects everyone.

            > Bill,
            >
            > Rather than leaving the grass-roots political agitation to right-wing zealots or other nut-cases, I think progressive thinkers should try to organise and campaign.
            >
            > There is no substitute for face-to-face discussion and local meetings. Such community interaction takes place without the media distorting the issues.
            >
            > Jim

          • William
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29 11:58 AM

              > Bill,
              >
              > Rather than leaving the grass-roots political agitation to right-wing zealots or other nut-cases, I think progressive thinkers should try to organise and campaign.
              >
              > There is no substitute for face-to-face discussion and local meetings. Such community interaction takes place without the media distorting the issues.
              >
              > Jim

              Jim ,If you have found a way to attract smart people you could make big bucks as a head hunter. Of course that would make you no better than the media whores and other godless capitalists like myself. I think you will grow out of your do gooder phase but you might be too old to have any fun. Bill
            • William
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29 12:05 PM