Not the answer the question

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2011
      In watching the presentations on artificial intelligence I was struck by the speed and breath of the computer,Watson, in its contest with humans on Jepardy. IBM engineers explained the files assembled for use by the computer and those files were nine times the number of bits of knowledge available to the human players. The machine beats us because it is bigger and faster than our brains and knowledge base.
      So are we obsolite just beings who google and briefly retain our search results?
      In our recent discussions on empirical knowledge and sensory perception I think we ruled out mystic interference and see perception as an explained, scientific reality.
      I see our continuing advantage to be in using our senses and data bases both personal and computerised to ask new, pertinent questions. Those questions, revieued by science point us to the future.
      So it is not the huge knowledge base of answers but the formulations of new questions that light our future. It is why machine intelligence will remain librarian while human genius will ask and learn. Bill