Re: Liberalism and Marxism

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 11, 2011
      Mary,

      Thank you for your post.

      I've gone back and re-read the relevant pages concerning Zizek's criticism of Critchley, and I see your point – or, rather, Zizek's point.

      According to Zizek, Critchley agrees with a violent response to Hitler's Nazi Germany, but disagrees with a violent response to the Western Capitalist elites. How can this difference be justified?

      Zizek argues that a violent response to each "enemy" is appropriate as each enemy adopts violence as a strategy first.

      I'm not convinced by this argument of Zizek's, and I side with Critchley in this dispute. I think the two situations and the two "evils" are different. Hitler was so beyond reason and decency, nothing less than violence could have stopped him. Our capitalist elites are not so evil and inhumane as Hitler, and minorities are not persecuted and eliminated in our western societies today. Further I think non-violent mass demonstrations can bring down capitalism, in a way that they could not have brought down Hitler.

      Jim
    • Josie
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2011
        Jim,

        You overlook the advantages of your parliamentary system. With our two-party, winner takes all elections, different platforms and perspectives are obliterated from public discourse by the exigencies of running for office. I suspect you have less gridlock. With only two choices, we're forced to expect policies we despise and equal opposition to those we embrace. This is how idiotic candidate are elected by idiotic voters with idiotic results, to use Bill's parlance.

        Even in your own country, the electorate has had the opportunity to vote for an anti-capitalist presidential candidate such as Ralph Nader in recent years.