disavowal and freedom to ignore

  • Broken Column
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2011
      Bill and/or interested others,

      The reason the Tea Party is popular is its appeal to non-revolutionary revolution. In order to keep Tea Party republicans from power, we need to draw critically clear distinctions between their Jefferson and the Jefferson which liberal atheists casually claim as their own. It would be a bold, possibly even authentic tactic, to embrace Jefferson's nod to Christianity's subversive core, but I don't see this happening. Instead I'll unpalatably vote for compromised, ineffectual liberals in order to thwart a theocracy replete with chain-gangs, poorhouses, and concentration camps.

      And to clarify my earlier post: will-to-ignorance is my term, not Sartre's. He explains the willingness to ignore as choosing not to acknowledge a particular this or that, not resistance to learning per se. This freedom to ignore, especially a fatal condition or disease, is in "Truth and Existence" which he never saw fit to publish. I'm not sure Zizek's concept of disavowal is similar, but it seems so to me the results of willingness to ignore and disavowal are alike.

      We continue to change the content of our cultural, political lives but never the form. We cling to empty symbols and gestures rather than dirempt them in order to move on. And meaning, our intersubjective existentialist project, is mocked by `post' men delivering primordial news: survival of the fittest.