Re: Liberalism and Marxism

  • irvhal
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 4, 2011
      Bill,

      You paint a grim picture indeed. But the American tripartite separation of powers, for better or worse, prevents any clique from running amok. And far from seeing a restoration of eighteenth century clerical prerogatives by rural reactionaries, I'd note that rural Americans (reactionary or otherwise) are a receding minority, that modernity is alive and well (imagine your dental patients forsaking anesthesia or your neighbors the air conditioner), and that any male mulling Nietzsche's comment about approaching women with a whip would soon think otherwise. And as noted so often before, it's multiculturalism that impedes any consensus for a welfare state, while open borders blocks its solvency and practicality -- which is why New Deal type schemes are for now a thing of the past.

      Irvin

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jjimstuart1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > This is a very pessimistic and defeatist post of yours.
      > >
      > > You seem to be saying: There is nothing we can do about the 20% unemployment and the underclass, these are just natural features of the world, and all we can do is protect ourselves from their stupidity, laziness and violence, and gradually eliminate their "kind" through compulsory sterilisation.
      > >
      > > My own view is that human beings are not born stupid, lazy and violent, but some become so because of their uninspiring and unstable environments.
      > >
      > > I think politics can make a difference, and a political will to create a more equal and inclusive society can create jobs and make the poor and disposed feel better about themselves and make them feel part of society.
      > >
      > > My crude policy changes would include banning all imports, converting more of our land to the production of food, and building more wind, wave and solar energy-producing devices. In the UK more jobs could be created building affordable housing, more tram systems, and spending more money on health, education and the police.
      > >
      > > Capitalism is not a natural phenomenon; it is only a temporary political system which is now past its sell-by date.
      > >
      > > Jim
      > >
      > Jim, I meant it to be pessimestic because that is what I see out there. You may not understand the gridlock in the congress. Spending bills originate in the House and the House is held by the tea baggers. They will not allow public spending,only cuts. They will not compromise thus our traditional answer of public works to support recessional economy are not available. This gridlock will last until the election and the right wing knows the gridlock can sweep them back into power. That is their strategy.
      > Perhaps the only bright spot is the Justice Department is sueing the big banks for their misadventures in the mortage loan debacle. Those very banks will not lend the fortunes the government gave them to avoid their failure. If the government wins those suits government would not be broke and we might undertake the programs that would insure full employment and renwed growth.
> [...]
    • Josie
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2011
        Jim,

        You overlook the advantages of your parliamentary system. With our two-party, winner takes all elections, different platforms and perspectives are obliterated from public discourse by the exigencies of running for office. I suspect you have less gridlock. With only two choices, we're forced to expect policies we despise and equal opposition to those we embrace. This is how idiotic candidate are elected by idiotic voters with idiotic results, to use Bill's parlance.

        Even in your own country, the electorate has had the opportunity to vote for an anti-capitalist presidential candidate such as Ralph Nader in recent years.