Re: Liberalism and Marxism

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 4, 2011
      Bill,

      This is a very pessimistic and defeatist post of yours.

      You seem to be saying: There is nothing we can do about the 20% unemployment and the underclass, these are just natural features of the world, and all we can do is protect ourselves from their stupidity, laziness and violence, and gradually eliminate their "kind" through compulsory sterilisation.

      My own view is that human beings are not born stupid, lazy and violent, but some become so because of their uninspiring and unstable environments.

      I think politics can make a difference, and a political will to create a more equal and inclusive society can create jobs and make the poor and disposed feel better about themselves and make them feel part of society.

      My crude policy changes would include banning all imports, converting more of our land to the production of food, and building more wind, wave and solar energy-producing devices. In the UK more jobs could be created building affordable housing, more tram systems, and spending more money on health, education and the police.

      Capitalism is not a natural phenomenon; it is only a temporary political system which is now past its sell-by date.

      Jim
    • Josie
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2011
        Jim,

        You overlook the advantages of your parliamentary system. With our two-party, winner takes all elections, different platforms and perspectives are obliterated from public discourse by the exigencies of running for office. I suspect you have less gridlock. With only two choices, we're forced to expect policies we despise and equal opposition to those we embrace. This is how idiotic candidate are elected by idiotic voters with idiotic results, to use Bill's parlance.

        Even in your own country, the electorate has had the opportunity to vote for an anti-capitalist presidential candidate such as Ralph Nader in recent years.