Liberalism and Marxism

  • William
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 2, 2011
      Classical Jeffersonian Liberalism has no home in the modern world. It valued work but much of that work was done by slaves. In a crude sense those slaves resemble the robots that are taking over jobs in the modern world.Simple, repetaive work has less an less value as robots are cheaper. So what about the nearly twenty percent of the unskilled, unemployed? The fact that they are black and hispanic makes the situation only more volatile. These people may never get another job, they are the unemployed face of the new normal. I cringe when I hear a continuance of unemployment benefits but what is the alternative?
      Jim has proposed a minimum doal,a subsistance stipend that assures food, shelter and survival at a basic level. I fear there is little alternative. I know it will not be long until we hear a demand for free entertainment in the basic dole kit. So be it, we will go the way of Rome with public bread throwing in the stadiums before the free sporting event. I of course think manditory steralisation should come with the completion of one hundred weeks of the doal. The female game of having more babies to get higher payments would then come to an end. This is the new world order we face and i do not buy into the old refrain that education and job retraining will make it all better. This permanent underclass cannot and will not work successfully. If we can keep their numbers down we might survive a twenty percent ,constant unemployment rate. If they continue to see this class breed we will be at anarchy within two generations. The white,rural , right wing thinke they can arm up and survive. I doubt it . The urban centers are necessary for modern civilasations to survive. Jesus said "The poor will always be with you" , Unfortuanatel those poor include the stupid,the lazy and the violent . We can only survive a limited number of that kind. Bill
    • Josie
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 15, 2011
        Jim,

        You overlook the advantages of your parliamentary system. With our two-party, winner takes all elections, different platforms and perspectives are obliterated from public discourse by the exigencies of running for office. I suspect you have less gridlock. With only two choices, we're forced to expect policies we despise and equal opposition to those we embrace. This is how idiotic candidate are elected by idiotic voters with idiotic results, to use Bill's parlance.

        Even in your own country, the electorate has had the opportunity to vote for an anti-capitalist presidential candidate such as Ralph Nader in recent years.