Closing the gap

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29 10:56 AM
      I see little gap in the concept of mind/ brain/cranial nerves and associated ganglia. For me it is another body system and although I do not claim special knowledge I find the system basically comprehensible and in no way mystical or spirtual. There are areas that are not nearly as well known. The auto immune diseases are a great mystery and Lupus type disorders have manifestations that completely baffle me. I think we will continue to make progress against the knowledge barriers that surround auto immune maladys. We will see how the emotions integrate with scientific based knowledge . I think that junction of knowledge will be the bridge that further integrates human existance. I think we will find out why red is exciting and blue is calming. We will learn why one shape is pleasing and another repulsive. We will know why art is felt and knowledge is known. We have only been down from the trees for a few million years. I think our progress is unsurpassed. Bill
    • Broken Column
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2011
        Bill,

        The gap I speak of is between the reductionist and the philosophical. Speculative reason can incorporate science, but a reductionist perspective can be as dogmatic and mystical as any religion ever was.

        Auto-immune disease is no more mysterious to me than confused thought which destroys its own defenses by regarding itself as merely mechanical. A machine that fails to fix itself is no more baffling than thinking which can't distinguish its own thought-feelings from those of others.

        Biochemical tinkering is unlikely to significantly alter the stuff we're made of—perhaps only rearrange it. Although the subjects of the following essay are those in which you've often expressed interest (the intersection of existentialism and science) , feel free not to read it :)

        http://www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n10/slavoj-zizek/bring-me-my-philips-mental-jacket

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2011