Re: Mind is a tooth is a phenomena

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2011
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Broken Column" <josephson45r@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > I often confuse persistence with backbone. Existentialism does not deny that experience and thought shape us. Quite the opposite. However, once a truth is achieved, thought forgets how it got us there. We need to be mindful, as well as factual.
      >
      > "Riding a bus at eighteen, Frida stood next to an artisan carrying a pouch of gold dust. When the streetcar hit them, his pouch was broken open by the force of the collision and Frida's body, ruined on concrete, was covered in what the pouch held. Gold was sunlight on asphalt. Gold was the gleam of metal through an open wound. Magenta, on the other hand, was the color of blood. "El más vivo y antiguo," Frida called it—the most alive, the oldest shade. "He who sees the colors." Frida was the one who had to wear them." Leslie Jamison, The Paris Review, August 22, 2011
      >
      > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1463226/
      >
      > Mary

      Mary, We visited a museum in Merida which had a number of Kahlo works. Most were bright florals with effusive colors . I have read biographys of her and would think of her as the female Picasso or perhaps the artistic Sartre.
      I think I can understand your interest in her as it would seem you have experienced similar difficulties. Mountaneering introduced me to risk eveluation and changed my appreciation of risks by compairing the fatalities caused by various activities. By far the most risky thing most people do is ride in or drive autos.
      Objective risks, those risks you encounter in trying to achieve an objective are for the most part enavoidable if you persist in the activity. In climbing, rock fall and lightning strikes are examples. If I remember correctly you were in a brutal crash that has punished you for years. So it seems reasonable you would have interest in Frida.
      I had one nearly fatal fall and retain Joe Walsh as the artist who captures the soaring and diving verticality of the high peaks. "Turn to stone" and " Rocky Mountain Way" come to mind. When I hear him he puts me back in the places above tree line. Does Frida have some dangerous review for you? Bill