Re: normative vs. Universal

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2011

      > I appreciate the `magical realism' of Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita", Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude", and Rushdie's "Midnight's Children." These authors combined political satire and flights of fancy to suggest startling similarities between political reality, delusion, and the tragically ridiculous.
      >
      > Vested interests, whether they're selling manufactured objects or scenarios, fabricate stories for us about them. Somewhat akin to how we treat natural phenomena, we can reframe these contrived phenomena within yet other narratives. We could simply deny the existence of any or all phenomena, but then we might miss the meaning of perception.
      >
      > Science and philosophy are both concerned with how, but the latter sublates the former with the additional discovery of meaning--that elusive existentialist grail--as common as bone.
      >
      > Mary
      >Mary, I have often thought about the concept of advertising. In the American business system you can tell just about any lie or fabrication. Fortunately most customers inately understand advertising speak is a fantastic language.
      I prefer a refrigerator magnet in the shape of a tooth with the office address and phone no. I used to give away toothbrush covers and have seen them all over the country. They are indestructable and outlast the toothbrush. That was my extent of advertising and I actually enjoyed spending the money. My name is on the tooth brushes we give out but that has such practical value I do not think of it as advertising. I do have a trade name but I have no idea what that might have accomplished. I think my advertising was phenominally acurate and therefore is little like pure commercial advertising. As to meaning, it meant you could remember who the hell your dentist was,even when you were on vacation. Most people never mention the articles mentioned. Now if you forget to give them a tooth brush they do respond. I consider it classey to have a professional tooth brush but I have never left brushes at hotels, they are too damn expensive. Besides that goes beyond the sneeky line for me. Bill