Re: Thinking is not the study of thought

  • William
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > Although I can't know for sure, I doubt Qadaffi perceives phenomena very much differently than the yes men and women he needs to surround him. In fact, those who perceive much differently are more likely to be rejected, unless they're promising next-life rewards. Inconsistence, incoherence, rather than phenomenology or philosophy, cause wide abuse of fellow beings. A similar kind of weak thinking seems evident on the part of some of his trading partners, whose despotism isn't as obvious. Maybe I'm guilty of insufficient reason, but it seems inherently illogical to be surprised and vindictive, when after you accept the lies of a monster in exchange for lucrative contracts, he acts according to his nature. I suppose I'm naive about such things.
      >
      > Mary
      > Mary, The oil goes to Europe and is of a very high quality. It is easy to refine and close to Italy and France. The major oil companies are finding sigificantly more oil so we will be in the oil business for many more decades. Statoil has a big new find and as demand is dropping the propensity of oil to command other markets becomes less likely. Libya has great tourist potential and tourism means jobs. A small country with a viable ,two pronged ecomony has a chance of prosperity.
      Gadaffe could be an interesting study if we can get him alive. It appears he was a druggie and as it would have been useful to study Hitler in regard to his megalomania and amphetamine addiction , Gadaffe was observed to be under the influence a good deal of the time. Knowing a despots drug habits can allow some novel corrective measures ,both pharmaceutical and behavioral could be used on the next crazy monster. The CIA has been in such business for a long time, remember Fidels exploding cigars?
      I do not consider you at all naive and think prevention is the best answer to despotism. Anyone who rises to power should have a psychic evaluation. If you want legitamacy in the modern world you should be free of major psychological defects. Candidates could take a stability test and then we might avoid those with wild mood swings and criminal tendancies. If you fail the test you could undergo treatment and everbody would be better off. You have to take a driving test if you want to drive a car, should you not have standards of sanity to drive a country? I doubt Nixon could have passed such a test and Bush two may have flunked an IQ minimum. Bill