nescism

  • Jesus Christ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
      hello. i have determined a theory that i have entitled nescism. i would like to tell you all about it, not to win approval, but merely to hear feedback in response to my abstract ideas. my philosophy is that knowledge, if not nonexistent, is at the least not attainable. i believe that there is no knowledge, only belief. what someone thinks he or she knows is actually only a belief in reaction to the way they perceive reality. reality is a different concept for everyone. to me, the concept of an absolute truth is ridiculous because, even if one existed, no one would perceive it the same way so it would never be "universal". if if there is a concrete reality, it will never be known due to lack of consistency in the minds of human beings. a sense of truth must be felt by the individual in order to satisfy their longing for knowledge.

      i realize that, were my theory true, it would seem to contradict itself in that if there were no knowledge, then i do not know everything that i have a stated above. i do not know anything that i have written so far. i merely believe it. i also believe that anyone else's ideas are no more valid than mine due to the fact that their beliefs are just that, beliefs, just as mine are. even so, i feel that every idea and law contradicts itself leaving an impression of confusion and hopelessness of ever finding reality. because of this, one must find one's own idea of what reality is to him or her in order to cope with life.

      those are the basics of my loosely assembled philosophy. please respond to it as you wish. thanks.

      justin

      ==
      I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

      --->Get you free email @...
      Made possible by Fade to Black Comedy Magazine
    • Gretchyn Lenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
        This is the first time I've answered e-mail from Christ (haha). I think
        you have put into your own words and way of conceptualizing a pretty
        universal understanding. A friend of mine had this way of putting it> She
        would say that a thing was true ... "unless of course, it's not." Even in
        science a thing is deemed to be true, until it is not. The Earth was flat
        until it was round; atoms were the smallest particles until we discovered
        quarks, etc. ad infinitum. What we recklessly refer to as objective
        reality is really consensus reality: the minimum agreement we need to live
        together in a relative universe. We know nothing because nothing can be
        known, only perceived and filtered. But then, what do I know?

        On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Jesus Christ wrote:

        > From: Jesus Christ <nescist@...>
        >
        > hello. i have determined a theory that i have entitled nescism. i would like to tell you all about it, not to win approval, but merely to hear feedback in response to my abstract ideas. my philosophy is that knowledge, if not nonexistent, is at the least not attainable. i believe that there is no knowledge, only belief. what someone thinks he or she knows is actually only a belief in reaction to the way they perceive reality. reality is a different concept for everyone. to me, the concept of an absolute truth is ridiculous because, even if one existed, no one would perceive it the same way so it would never be "universal". if if there is a concrete reality, it will never be known due to lack of consistency in the minds of human beings. a sense of truth must be felt by the individual in order to satisfy their longing for knowledge.
        >
        > i realize that, were my theory true, it would seem to contradict itself in that if there were no knowledge, then i do not know everything that i have a stated above. i do not know anything that i have written so far. i merely believe it. i also believe that anyone else's ideas are no more valid than mine due to the fact that their beliefs are just that, beliefs, just as mine are. even so, i feel that every idea and law contradicts itself leaving an impression of confusion and hopelessness of ever finding reality. because of this, one must find one's own idea of what reality is to him or her in order to cope with life.
        >
        > those are the basics of my loosely assembled philosophy. please respond to it as you wish. thanks.
        >
        > justin
        >
        > ==
        > I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

        > --->Get you free email @...
        > Made possible by Fade to Black Comedy Magazine

        > Sign up for eLerts at:

        > >From The Exist List...
        > http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/~tameri

      • BOURTON, SAM
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2000
          Gretchyn and Jesus Christ,

          But surely the Earth was still round even when people believed it to be
          flat. We know that they were just wrong. Likewise the people who believed
          atoms were the smallest particle were just wrong.

          I don't think existentialism leads us to the conclusion that when people
          believed the earth was flat, either (a) it was flat, or (b) it was not the
          case that is was round.

          In Beyond Good and Evil this problem is avoided because we are told that the
          existence of falsehoods doesn't necessitate the existence of truths. Just
          because we can know things are wrong, doesn't necessarily mean we can know
          things are right - but that in turn doesn't mean that there is no right.

          Sam

          --
          From The Exist List...
          http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/~tameri

          and reply to the confirmation email we send you.
          ____
          This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening
          System
          http://academy.star.co.uk/public/virustats.htm
          This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System
          http://academy.star.co.uk/public/virustats.htm
        • uli
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2000
            "The falseness of a judgement is to us not
            necessarily an objection to a
            judgement:.........To recognize untruth as a
            condition of life : that, to be sure, means to
            resist customary value- sentiments in a dangerous
            fashion; and a philosophy which ventures to do so
            places itself, by that act alone, beyond good and
            evil"
            "How could something originate in its antithesis?
            Truth in error, for example? Or will to truth in
            will to deception? Or the unselfish act in
            self-interest?........Such origination is
            impossible; he who dreams of it is a fool, indeed
            worse than a fool; the things of the highest value
            must have another origin of their own- they cannot
            be derivable from this transitory, seductive,
            deceptive, mean little world, from this confusion
            of desire and illusion! In the womb of being,
            rather, in the intransitory, in the hidden god, in
            the "thing itself" - that is where their cause
            must lie and nowhere else!"
            Sam, Nietzsche is.... a state of being more than
            an argument, i think. Not that i don't appreciate
            the stile or the state, in bits .
            Delia

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2000
              when people believed the earth to be flat, it was. now, it is more commonly believed to be round, therefore, it is round to most people. i, personally, believe the earth to be shape of a square. the earth may be round to you but that does not mean that it is perceived as round to everyone else.