Re: Sennet on the new capitalism

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
      Bill,

      As Wil suggests, Sennett is left of centre.

      I think you would probably agree with a lot of what he says.

      Dentistry is a good example of a craft, where the dentist is a craftsman who takes pleasure and pride in doing a good job which is useful to society as a whole.

      Sennett argues, like you do in your post, that there is pressure on workers today to do a quick but shoddy job. The pressure today is to sell cheap but shoddy products, rather than expensive but good-quality goods and services.

      Another example Sennett gives is that of software developers who want their software to be of a high standard, but the pressure from above is to release the software with bugs in it to save time. Sennett says that consumers have now been trained to accept that new software will have bugs in it.

      Explicit aspects of Sennett's book which show his left-wing credentials are his call for more public sector employment and less private sector employment, and his argument for a basic living wage for all – whether they work or not – with those in work able to "top up" their basic wage.

      Jim
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011

        > Bill,
        >
        > As Wil suggests, Sennett is left of centre.
        >
        > I think you would probably agree with a lot of what he says.
        >
        > Dentistry is a good example of a craft, where the dentist is a craftsman who takes pleasure and pride in doing a good job which is useful to society as a whole.
        >
        > Sennett argues, like you do in your post, that there is pressure on workers today to do a quick but shoddy job. The pressure today is to sell cheap but shoddy products, rather than expensive but good-quality goods and services.
        >
        > Another example Sennett gives is that of software developers who want their software to be of a high standard, but the pressure from above is to release the software with bugs in it to save time. Sennett says that consumers have now been trained to accept that new software will have bugs in it.
        >
        > Explicit aspects of Sennett's book which show his left-wing credentials are his call for more public sector employment and less private sector employment, and his argument for a basic living wage for all – whether they work or not – with those in work able to "top up" their basic wage.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim, most provacitive. I do see the merit in a dimunition of multinational corporate power with more government control of production and labor management. Changing energy production to domestic renuables can be the lever to pry the old oil world apart. This is very important material and the average joe can understand it, if it is well presented. The multinationals can be painted as the dirty ,greedy, old order. Certainly the existentialist has little difficulty in opposing an old order adhering to religous fundamentalism and huge class separation. There is a fanaticsm to the right that hints at panic. I think now that Bush is gone they see the demise of the petroleum world order. They are desparate and dangerous because their advantages are on the wane. This happens more quickly than I had imagined. Once those turbins are up the shit literally hits the fan. Now they build them fast and a monster industry springs into action. Jobs to make them,jobs to move them ,jobs to maintain them it all explodes into action and I am seeing it happen right out there in the country. The new solar arrays in southern california are another part of the puzzle . The old republican mantra for smaller government just doesnt fit in and it is time to squelch that worn rhetoric. Adequate regulation and government funding are necessary to build these changes . The peace dividend and taxation of old oil assets will be hugly resisted but I think the foot is in the door and Obama wants to kick it in. The dislocations caused by the Tea Party terrorists are not accidental but if the independants can view a clean,renueable future,with no reliance on mid east oil and a self sustaining domestic economy, they will help us crush the conservative drive. Modernism has a plan and it can work. Bill