Re: Thinking about thinking.

  • fictiveparrot
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 3, 2011
      > Thinking is a physiological process mediated through
      > neurons and ganglia in the brain and spinal cord.

      I don't know that I can totally agree with that. There are neurological cases that put this assumption into question -- should you need the 'science' of it. Rather, it seems these mechanisms (brain, spinal cord) are likely 'involved' in thinking.

      * There are instances of record where a person losing a limb or donating an organ loses memory along with it.

      * There are instances where recipient of a donor organ senses new things / thought processes and memories.

      * There are instances where what we might think of as severe and debilitating brain injuries have substantially limited effect. See, for example, Phineas Gage.

      * There are instances of babies being born without a brain, but living, crying, and not until the autopsy was the condition discovered.

      * There is evidence that some creatures have secondary brains (e.g., hind brain).

      * There is evidence that science knows very little about the working of the brain.

      I think it is a grand assumption that with all the neurons and such running about the body that 'other' structures might just as well be involved in higher or lower processes that at least influence a result in thought.

      I'm thinking I am not without doubt.

      Eyethink Therefore Errumduh
      Message 43 of 43 , Aug 21, 2011
        > It may seem obvious to you that they were not there. However, to her, my guess is they were. Popular and sensible opinions are perhaps not always right... And why is one person's perception of reality more valuable than another?
        >
        > Sliced like bread it is potentially toast, mold, a sandwich, gone. It is precisely the ability to perceive one thing as another that intimates possibility.
        >
        > Arcing Lied

        Perhaps I was childish to wish them away, because they were real for her. I recall my fear and the need to control her `heretical' perception; the chain of events and consequences became predictable. The mental health biz hasn't improved, because it's predicated on utility rather than phenomenology, philosophy, or possibility.

        But perception isn't an ability; it just happens. Doubt and valuation require thought. Reason—thinking about thought—is similar to proprioception and, however imperfect, bridges the abyss between perception and action.

        Sufficiently similar perceptions and reason among us have been useful, but insistence on consensus has also been disastrous and seems the next king to dethrone.