Le Tour de France

  • William
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 13, 2011
      Herman, I differ and point to the title subject of this thread. We have and need those hard men. In the Tour de Crash as this year it is being called ,the slashing wreck into barbed wire resulted in more than thirty stiches to the victim. He rode the next day. That kind of courage still exists and you know it. Calling it primitive or backward does nothing to degrade truly heroic acts. As to someone shooting a pregnant soldier, such a thing should never happen in a civilised world. I have often said I deplore war but understand the need to win wars for survival. True courage in sport identifies the bold in a peaceful way and should war break out such persons become invaluable. I once took ten stiches in a championship game after being spiked and finished the game. Our goaly took twenty deep and twenty superficial sutures and came back for the final period. A star center played with his jaw wired and carried a pliers should he need to puke. Dedication and resistance to give in to pain still exists in both sexes but I agree it is becoming more rare. For that reason I speak of it,with reverence. Bill
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 15, 2011
        Hi Bill,

        Yes, we do differ. What you call heroic and courageous, as exemplified in
        sport, I see as being totally gratuitous. You may as well be in praise of
        self-flagellation.

        Cheers

        Herman

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 15, 2011

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 16, 2011
            Hi Bill,

            On 16 July 2011 00:53, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Bill,
            > >
            > > Yes, we do differ. What you call heroic and courageous, as exemplified in
            > > sport, I see as being totally gratuitous. You may as well be in praise of
            > > self-flagellation.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Herman
            > > Herman, I consider work to be self flagellation. I am very tired of it.
            > Bill

            I understand. You could always stop, working that is.

            Cheers

            Herman

          • William
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17, 2011