Le Tour de France

  • William
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 11, 2011
      No. 4 regarding freedom seems plausable but I would refer you to my answer regarding No. one in regard to No. Five.
      Last night a young couple engaged us in a conversation regarding sexual differences. The female was derogatory to her male and males in general. He asked who would shovel the snow and cut the lawn and I added who would screw her girlfriends.
      The conversation started when Priscilla told of how the old women literally attacked her father in his visit to the assisted care center. The young girls comment was "Fresh meat".
      Males and females should have different philosophical perspectives but I was not prepared for such bluntness. The notion by many women that men are necessary brutes will play out by the competative friction between the sexes. Women are beginning to lose their longevity advantage and I never expected such a change. I would suggest that as more women leave their traditional mothering role women die earlier when they have fully participated in the hard masculine sphere. It is not that women can`t do the male occupations but that the females will die at a similar rate. If this keeps repeating I would expect to see bigger females who exhibit a more male perspective . I probably will not be around to see those big,hairy,agressive women. I feel sorry for the males that have to screw their girlfriends. Bill
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 12, 2011
        Bill,

        Existentialism was and is a response to the futility of violence and war, the tired old cause of finding and eliminating their causes. Thankfully, we have two different sexes and even more sensibilities.

> [...]
        > No. two is even more tired , why not say we are mortal, we die. Carping on about the relative weighting of past,present and future are personal conjecture of one individual. If his future includes an afterlife I radically disagree.
        > No. three, I am not a humanist and think it different from existentialism. I think feminist closer to humanist . I would expect you to feel as you do. But I know a great deal about competition and care little about humanism or feminism. If you want a soft existentialism that is your choice but not mine.In yesterdays Tour an ass in an auto forced a rider into a Barbed Wire Fence. It was horrorific and displayed the guts it takes to ride at the highest levels. Soft fart commentators as those in the auto and such soft interlopers do not belong on the Tour course. I think the same about soft existentialists, theists and humanists, they should stay off the real tour. Bill
        > No. four is OK but for No. five see No. one.
        > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <v.valleywestdental@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Mary and Herman, I see sport as a reprsentation of life in general. It seems all organisms compete for food and with base organisms that usually involves killing then eating. I have known many people,mostly those who term themselves intellectuals, think this primative and backward. They take survival for granted and look down on competition.
        > > > Yesterday I was having drinks with a head football coach of a Pac ten team. A soccer match was on the tube and he was amased that the score ended up 1-0 decided by a free kick. It escaped both of us why anyone would play or watch such a game. He thinks that only in the blood sports is the metaphore of life maintained. He thinks we need high risk competition to maintain ourselves as a species. Only there,besides war, do we find out what we have regarding courage and strength. He agreed with me that the educational system has devolved away from grades and curve based competativism toward a all pass ,low energy walk into oblivion.
        > > > I like existentialism because it has little or no dogma. It allows you to compete in the world with no god insisting on rules and no priests intrepeting god`s word. The French with their individual sports of a most dangerous nature remain near the pinnacle . In team sports my coach friend sees ice hockey as the most telling sport. As with the god metaphore he thinks non interferance by officials to be critical to free competition.
        > > > So I think existentialism permits clean competition with minimal intreference from anything but the laws of the state and the laws of science. If the state is a representative democracy then people can move freely within their framework to compete for the worlds goods and services and that promotes progress and prosperity. Bill

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 13, 2011
          Hi Bill,

          On 12 July 2011 06:18, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > No. 4 regarding freedom seems plausable but I would refer you to my answer
          > regarding No. one in regard to No. Five.
          > Last night a young couple engaged us in a conversation regarding sexual
          > differences. The female was derogatory to her male and males in general. He
          > asked who would shovel the snow and cut the lawn and I added who would screw
          > her girlfriends.
          > The conversation started when Priscilla told of how the old women literally
          > attacked her father in his visit to the assisted care center. The young
          > girls comment was "Fresh meat".
          > Males and females should have different philosophical perspectives but I
          > was not prepared for such bluntness. The notion by many women that men are
          > necessary brutes will play out by the competative friction between the
          > sexes. Women are beginning to lose their longevity advantage and I never
          > expected such a change. I would suggest that as more women leave their
          > traditional mothering role women die earlier when they have fully
          > participated in the hard masculine sphere. It is not that women can`t do the
          > male occupations but that the females will die at a similar rate. If this
          > keeps repeating I would expect to see bigger females who exhibit a more male
          > perspective . I probably will not be around to see those big,hairy,agressive
          > women. I feel sorry for the males that have to screw their girlfriends. Bill

          I don't buy your sexual prophecies for a number of reasons. These days, we
          live in cities, and the frontier male / female sexuality that your father
          subscribed to is long dead. Even the defense forces are having to accept
          homosexuality in the ranks. That is because, like in Greece of old, our
          civilisation accepts en masse that in this world there is absolutely no need
          for your hard kinda man.

          I await the day when a pregnant lesbian soldier is shot by a metrosexual in
          uniform.

          Cheers

          Herman

        • William
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 13, 2011
            Herman, I differ and point to the title subject of this thread. We have and need those hard men. In the Tour de Crash as this year it is being called ,the slashing wreck into barbed wire resulted in more than thirty stiches to the victim. He rode the next day. That kind of courage still exists and you know it. Calling it primitive or backward does nothing to degrade truly heroic acts. As to someone shooting a pregnant soldier, such a thing should never happen in a civilised world. I have often said I deplore war but understand the need to win wars for survival. True courage in sport identifies the bold in a peaceful way and should war break out such persons become invaluable. I once took ten stiches in a championship game after being spiked and finished the game. Our goaly took twenty deep and twenty superficial sutures and came back for the final period. A star center played with his jaw wired and carried a pliers should he need to puke. Dedication and resistance to give in to pain still exists in both sexes but I agree it is becoming more rare. For that reason I speak of it,with reverence. Bill
          • Herman
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 15, 2011
              Hi Bill,

              Yes, we do differ. What you call heroic and courageous, as exemplified in
              sport, I see as being totally gratuitous. You may as well be in praise of
              self-flagellation.

              Cheers

              Herman

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 15, 2011

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 16, 2011
                  Hi Bill,

                  On 16 July 2011 00:53, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Bill,
                  > >
                  > > Yes, we do differ. What you call heroic and courageous, as exemplified in
                  > > sport, I see as being totally gratuitous. You may as well be in praise of
                  > > self-flagellation.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > Herman
                  > > Herman, I consider work to be self flagellation. I am very tired of it.
                  > Bill

                  I understand. You could always stop, working that is.

                  Cheers

                  Herman

                • William
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 17, 2011