Re: [existlist] Green jahaad[the art of being tardy}

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2011
      Bill

      I am uncertain to what extent we are getting more aware, and to what extent the establishment is much more upfront about their basic Orwellianism. With the USSR as a rival, it was more difficult to see the blatant imperialism implicit in US foreign policy. As Nietzsche said "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster." And of course, he is mainly looking at it from an individual point of view. From the point of big brother,monsters are an excuse to persuade the citizens to give them money and surrender liberties to in reality allow them to grow more monstrous. Being online 10 years has definitely given me a much more universal picture of history. The monster we grew up with as enemy was "Godless Communism" and now we are led to believe that we need to keep increasing the military budget to fight religious extremism. And of course, drug dealers have been a monster to justify police state for many years; and before that we had bootleggers.

      Big brother has been growing in power throughout our lives. From it's founding in the late 40s, which included many ex Nazi scirentists, Mafia guys etc. through the shootings of JFK, MLK, RFK, George Wallace, Lennon, Pat Tilman etc, it has grown more bold. Bush invading Iraq was a scene out of a prison yard, with the big strong guy making demands on the little guy, and even when met still results in the little guy getting beat up. Many cheered at murder of Bin Laden, several of his assistants and one of the assistant's wives; but teargas could have been used to capture these people without killing them. But they didn't want to have a live Bin Laden on the stand, and dead men tell no tales. The violent crime rate is about the same as it was in 1980, but the incarceration rate has quadrupled.

      I wonder if we did elect a person determined to stop the madness, how long he would live.

      Tom