Re: The perils of narcissism

  • Gretchyn Lenger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2000
      Hey Rajiv and all,

      I've lost the train of thought from before the holiday. It's been a long
      time since I've read Freud and I don't want to be too careless with the
      terminology. I think what I've been saying is that I see the oversoul as
      something completely different from the superego, but like a Venn diagram,
      the two overlap in places. Yes it's true that one is shaped by instruction
      and environment but I have always been aware of another who guides me in
      what to assimilate from that and what not - prior to and apart from any
      known influence to the contrary. I'm talking about since the earliest
      memories and under extreme conditions. I also believe that so much of this
      is semantics. I can only describe my experiences but I don't pretend to
      think that necessarily has a universal application. I also don't have any
      religious affiliations. There are certain spiritual philosophies that
      "make sense" to me and seem to fit in with my experiences but all that
      forms my working hypothesis of existence, like anyone's, until it doesn't!

      By the way, I do like the idea of mutual reading/discussion. I prefer the
      suggestion of beginning with existential terminology/basics as I think it
      would
      help solidify a common ground from which to branch out.