Possibilties

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
      If we can section the worm from two directions we might shorten the duration of our bondage to the hyper law we have been exposed to.
      Jerry Brown is under mandate to release more than 40% of California inmates. It would seem logical to release those convicted of non violent , victimless crimes. I know the Gouvenor could be convinced of such an action. A natural political action by a left wing gouvenor results in the achievement of a libertarian goal. Only the hard right loses and they should. Legalise drugs and you have a controlling force to regulate the drug trade. Expand their governance into the pharmaceutical industry and you might have a usable adversive situation.
      Of course from the other end of the great segmental beast comes the libertarians with legislation to overturn oppressive drug laws. Chop, chop ,chop, section by section until the criminals are gone and the counselors are in place. One false bureaucracy gone and one victory for the people.Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Bill

        The incarceration rate in the US has quadrupled since Reagan, whereas violent crime has remained pretty constant. There are 12 times as many drug offenders behind bars;but cocaine sells for about a 1/4 of the price in 1980. Several times congress declared America Drug Free by a certain date.I was naive enough to assume that was their intention in those days. With innovations in electronics as well as greater police powers through court rulings and legislation, if the powers really wanjted a drug free America, we would have one, or almost. In reality, they really wanted an excuse to build up the police state prison industrial complex; and a drug free America would be a DEA guy's greatest nightmare. I think the same principles apply to the military industrial complex. Villains have to be created to justify the expense and reduction of civil liberties that the growth of the police state and military industrial complex. If US troops are not all around the world defending us from Godless Communism; they are now there to defend us from religious extremism.

        The Tea Party is fairly split between the Ron Paul libertarian types, and the Sarah Palin pro war social conservatives. Anybody really serious about reducing federal spending certainly needs to include the huge defense budget in areas to be slashed.

        Peace
        Tom

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011