Re: New enlightened ways of thinking

  • William
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 27, 2011

      > Bill,
      >
      > I don't like cap and trade either, but energy problems are serious. I see nothing harmful or sacrificial about considering the environment. Multiple approaches are necessary to complex problems, and limiting growth is one of them. Several years ago I was interested in the Mandan and learned about the Garrison Dam debacle. And when I working in the electrical T&D side of the energy sector, AEP announced plans to build a new 765kV power line through Virginia. It took 16 years from planning to energization because of environmental and cultural concerns. We need to seriously upgrade the grid, bring alternate technologies on line, conserve, and worry less about drilling. Protecting the environment and people is practical, and trade-offs are necessary, but we're in an unsustainable growth situation now.
      >
      > Mary

      Mary, Harry Reid has started the war by introducing repeal of oil company tax breaks. That is good sabre rattling but the house will probably squelch it. Harry and Obama will make them pay a political price as gas prices really piss voters off. It will be easy to brand them as anti middle class if they block taxation of big oil.
      Conoco came in with low production numbers but Exxon and Chevron come out Thursday and Friday. Big numbers will allow Harry to threaten deep cuts and the conservatives will have to circle the wagons to save their major constituants.
      I am not for an increase in oil drilling but natural gas seems our best bet for short term energy self sufficency. Reid does not want to drive the oil companies out of business but if they dont get their profit margins they will not produce and guess what happens to the price at the pump when that happens. Conoco`s production was down 7% and that will raise the price at the pump. Taxing the shit out of big oil is a bad idea as they are the people who need to open up those natural gas fields. I have seen the plans for the pipe lines and think the system should be built. I do not think you can get new nukes built after the Japanese debacle. We do not have the electric generational capacity to run an electric auto fleet. Wind and solar may be enough for a small country likr GB but it is not enough for USA.
      On the research front there are leaked reports from CERN that they have good evidence of the Higgs Boson. That is the possible big game changer and I have hope we might get a breakthrough. As Ray Krock says "We couuld use a break,today". Bill