I rant,therefore I am

  • William
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 8, 2011
      "I got up this morning feeling mighty mean, thinking bout my good gal in New Orleans" {Saro Jane} Traditional.
      Rather than be a pitious fuck I followed the money. In my quest ,having sent my minions in several directions I retrived eight of the eleven missing dollars. In the process I dirtied some skirts and assigned some blame. I got apologies and I got a high level promise for the rest of the money. I did not wine or moan, I kicked ass and took names. Action talks and whining walks.
      The rant was an organisational thinking process but the phone calls and frightful attitude were action. It was not some wishy washy rhetoric, it was down and dirty orders to start heads rolling. I do not know if anybody is fired ,I really don`t care , I got what I want and if I chewed some holes in the collective ,so be it.
      That proves it is the individual can be the nidus of meaningful change. Of course I consider money meaningful, but setting some assholes straight is actually more pleasant. "Be sure you are right and then go ahead" Lincoln. "Don`t wanna be known as bad or good,just wanna be feared in my neighboorhood" Peter Townsend. Bill
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
        Hi Bill,

        On 9 April 2011 07:08, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

        > "I got up this morning feeling mighty mean, thinking bout my good gal in
        > New Orleans" {Saro Jane} Traditional.
        > Rather than be a pitious fuck I followed the money. In my quest ,having
        > sent my minions in several directions I retrived eight of the eleven missing
        > dollars. In the process I dirtied some skirts and assigned some blame. I got
        > apologies and I got a high level promise for the rest of the money. I did
        > not wine or moan, I kicked ass and took names. Action talks and whining
        > walks.
        > The rant was an organisational thinking process but the phone calls and
        > frightful attitude were action. It was not some wishy washy rhetoric, it was
        > down and dirty orders to start heads rolling. I do not know if anybody is
        > fired ,I really don`t care , I got what I want and if I chewed some holes in
        > the collective ,so be it.
        > That proves it is the individual can be the nidus of meaningful change. Of
        > course I consider money meaningful, but setting some assholes straight is
        > actually more pleasant. "Be sure you are right and then go ahead" Lincoln.
        > "Don`t wanna be known as bad or good,just wanna be feared in my
        > neighboorhood" Peter Townsend. Bill

        Please accept that I am not being critical of your narratives in what
        follows, and I take comfort from my belief that you would not be harmed even
        if you believed that you were being criticised.

        But don't you see the arbitrary nature of your narrative? Could you not have
        recounted the day that was in a million different ways? Do you take this,
        your current arbitrary narrative to be you reality? And why?

        Cheers

        Herman

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
          Herman,

          Pardon my question; my brain must not be as refreshed this morning as I hoped. Are you saying Bill could have chosen a different way of perceiving or reasoned differently?

          > Hi Bill,
          >
          > On 9 April 2011 07:08, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:
          >

          > > "I got up this morning feeling mighty mean, thinking bout my good gal in
          > > New Orleans" {Saro Jane} Traditional.
          > > Rather than be a pitious fuck I followed the money. In my quest ,having
          > > sent my minions in several directions I retrived eight of the eleven missing
          > > dollars. In the process I dirtied some skirts and assigned some blame. I got
          > > apologies and I got a high level promise for the rest of the money. I did
          > > not wine or moan, I kicked ass and took names. Action talks and whining
          > > walks.
          > > The rant was an organisational thinking process but the phone calls and
          > > frightful attitude were action. It was not some wishy washy rhetoric, it was
          > > down and dirty orders to start heads rolling. I do not know if anybody is
          > > fired ,I really don`t care , I got what I want and if I chewed some holes in
          > > the collective ,so be it.
          > > That proves it is the individual can be the nidus of meaningful change. Of
          > > course I consider money meaningful, but setting some assholes straight is
          > > actually more pleasant. "Be sure you are right and then go ahead" Lincoln.
          > > "Don`t wanna be known as bad or good,just wanna be feared in my
          > > neighboorhood" Peter Townsend. Bill
          > >

          > Please accept that I am not being critical of your narratives in what
          > follows, and I take comfort from my belief that you would not be harmed even
          > if you believed that you were being criticised.
          >
          > But don't you see the arbitrary nature of your narrative? Could you not have
          > recounted the day that was in a million different ways? Do you take this,
          > your current arbitrary narrative to be you reality? And why?
          >
          > Cheers
          >

          > Herman
          >

          > > __
          > >

          > > ._,_.___
          > > Reply to sender<v.valleywestdental@...?subject=Re%3A%20I%20rant%2Ctherefore%20I%20am>| Reply
          > > to group<existlist@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20I%20rant%2Ctherefore%20I%20am>| Reply
          > > 1)
          > > Recent Activity:

          > > Home Page: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
          > > Switch to: Text-Only<existlist-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
          > > Daily Digest<existlist-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
          > > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          > > .

        • Herman
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
            Hi Mary,

            On 9 April 2011 23:43, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:

            > Herman,
            >
            > Pardon my question; my brain must not be as refreshed this morning as I
            > hoped. Are you saying Bill could have chosen a different way of perceiving
            > or reasoned differently?
            >
            > It's only like I said, I don't buy into the false dichotomy of free-will or
            determinism. I have drawn, perhaps, Bill's attention to how he has verbally
            characterised his day. We all know, even without me having done this, that
            no-one's experience is comprised of a verbal summation of it. Reality isn't
            a function of language.

            However, Bill's narrations are, like your own narrations, arbitrary. They
            are not necessary. To the extent that you believe them, you believe them.
            That's all.

            Cheers

            Herman

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
              Herman,

              Yes, but it's a non-point with me, since there is no dichotomy. Narration is a vital social function, a way to create a reality that some will share and others reject.

> [...]
              > > Start
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZWJ0Nm00BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MDAwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU2ODkyMTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzAyMjk2OTMy

              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist/message/55345;_ylc=X3oDMTM1azJqa3F0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MDAwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU2ODkyMTYEbXNnSWQDNTUzNDUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzAyMjk2OTMyBHRwY0lkAzU1MzQ1
              > > >(

              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist;_ylc=X3oDMTJkam9xdW1lBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MDAwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU2ODkyMTYEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzAyMjk2OTMx

              > > nothing!

              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjYzVvbnQ3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2MDAwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU2ODkyMTYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEzMDIyOTY5MzI-

              > > ?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,

            • William
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011

                > Hi Bill,
                >
                > On 9 April 2011 07:08, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:
                >

                > > "I got up this morning feeling mighty mean, thinking bout my good gal in
                > > New Orleans" {Saro Jane} Traditional.
                > > Rather than be a pitious fuck I followed the money. In my quest ,having
                > > sent my minions in several directions I retrived eight of the eleven missing
                > > dollars. In the process I dirtied some skirts and assigned some blame. I got
                > > apologies and I got a high level promise for the rest of the money. I did
                > > not wine or moan, I kicked ass and took names. Action talks and whining
                > > walks.
                > > The rant was an organisational thinking process but the phone calls and
                > > frightful attitude were action. It was not some wishy washy rhetoric, it was
                > > down and dirty orders to start heads rolling. I do not know if anybody is
                > > fired ,I really don`t care , I got what I want and if I chewed some holes in
                > > the collective ,so be it.
                > > That proves it is the individual can be the nidus of meaningful change. Of
                > > course I consider money meaningful, but setting some assholes straight is
                > > actually more pleasant. "Be sure you are right and then go ahead" Lincoln.
                > > "Don`t wanna be known as bad or good,just wanna be feared in my
                > > neighboorhood" Peter Townsend. Bill
                > >

                > Please accept that I am not being critical of your narratives in what
                > follows, and I take comfort from my belief that you would not be harmed even
                > if you believed that you were being criticised.
                >
                > But don't you see the arbitrary nature of your narrative? Could you not have
                > recounted the day that was in a million different ways? Do you take this,
                > your current arbitrary narrative to be you reality? And why?
                >
                > Cheers
                >

                > Herman
                > Pack it herman.>
                >
                > > __
                > >

                > > ._,_.___
                > > Reply to sender<v.valleywestdental@...?subject=Re%3A%20I%20rant%2Ctherefore%20I%20am>| Reply
                > > to group<existlist@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20I%20rant%2Ctherefore%20I%20am>| Reply
                > > 1)
                > > Recent Activity:

                > > Home Page: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist
                > > Switch to: Text-Only<existlist-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
                > > Daily Digest<existlist-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
                > > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                > > .

              • tom
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                  Herman
                  The narrative can never encompas the totality of the reality described, but
                  it is his remembrance of his experience of a given day.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                    Hi Tom,

                    I think Herman is saying that narrative and/or explanation adds nothing to experience, whereas I'm arguing narrative is a way of communicating. I doubt he advocates grunting and pointing, but I'm not sure of his existential or philosophical point either. I view him and Bill at the extremes of existentialism, but like you I'm not one to be burning heretics. I listen but don't have to agree :)

                    > Herman
                    > The narrative can never encompas the totality of the reality described, but
                    > it is his remembrance of his experience of a given day.
                    >
                    > Tom
                  • tom
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                      Mary

                      I agree with you. If I told you, my automobile was broken into, it would add nothing to the experience of my auto being broken into;however it would be my means of expressing such to you. Luckily, it hasn't been broken into.To the extent, that our personal quest is search for truth,and to the extent that our interactions in this group are a search for truth, it is difficult to seperate what appears like error to us and the particular psychic type we are, with the repressions we carry subconciously. It is interesting how some people can reject a background of dogmatic Catholicism; and convert to a dogmatic form of Marxism or various other equally dogmatic systems. The legends of Socrates and Jesus both point toward the persecution by the powers that be on anyone who s eeks truth or a more joyful empowered life outside the bounds of the dogma that supports that particular order. The Catholic Church burned Joan of Arc at the steak, but 400 years later they canonized her a saint. Orwell saw the Catholic Church as the prototype of Big Brother; but saw evolving electronic technology as a means of giving Big Brother powers the Inquisitor of Madrid only dreamed of.

                      How to turn a Goddess or God into a Saint

                      To turn a goddess or a god into a saint,
                      first you castrate them so the decent folk don't faint.
                      Next you paint over their realness with Catholic white paint. Then the establishment that killed them will gladly pray to them with no complaint.

                      Now Jesus turned water to wine,
                      and he danced, laughed and made love.
                      And showed the thieves and whores how to be divine.
                      Of course the Catholic Church insists it was only their future salvation he had in mind.

                      Now according to Shakespeare,
                      Joan of Arc was a wild lady,
                      who loved orgies in the park.
                      But the Catholic Church originally said her visions were fake,
                      and burned her sweet ass at the stake.
                      Five hundred years later, the Catholic Church admitted they made a mistake,
                      and canonized her a saint.
                      But when they tried her for sorcery and heresy,
                      she said she was in contact with God.
                      The priest laughed as he put the torch to the stake,
                      saying, "no you ain't".

                      So if they can't get rid of a rebel by killing.
                      They pretend that it was really a Catholic way of life, these saints were fulfilling.
                      So as you can see, the Catholic Church is real cunning and has lots of tricks,
                      and they've created saints by removing cunts and dicks.
                      And if in the near future we have another inquisition,
                      and the establishment kills its enemies to save the world from lust and superstition,
                      they'd probably kill all the rock stars with a dagger,
                      and five hundred years later, they'd canonize Saint Jagger.

                      Groovy man

                      by the Cool Cat

                      www.thecoolcat.net

                      I think Herman is saying that narrative and/or explanation adds nothing to experience, whereas I'm arguing narrative is a way of communicating. I doubt he advocates grunting and pointing, but I'm not sure of his existential or philosophical point either. I view him and Bill at the extremes of existentialism, but like you I'm not one to be burning heretics. I listen but don't have to agree :)

                      > Herman
                      > The narrative can never encompas the totality of the reality described, but
                      > it is his remembrance of his experience of a given day.
                      >
                      > Tom

                    • Herman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                        Hi Mary,

                        On 10 April 2011 10:03, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Tom,
                        >
                        > I think Herman is saying that narrative and/or explanation adds nothing to
                        > experience, whereas I'm arguing narrative is a way of communicating.

                        Sure. But narrative is not only a way of communicating. It can also be a way
                        of being neurotic. (I am not claiming that that about anyone)

                        > I doubt he advocates grunting and pointing, but I'm not sure of his
                        existential or philosophical point either.

                        What would be the purpose of narrating oneself to oneself?

                        I view him and Bill at the extremes of existentialism, but like you I'm not
                        one to be burning heretics. I listen but don't have to agree :)

                        Thank God for that :-).

                        Cheers

                        Herman

                        > Mary
                        >

                        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Herman
                        > > The narrative can never encompas the totality of the reality described,
                        > but
                        > > it is his remembrance of his experience of a given day.
                        > >
                        > > Tom

                      • William
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011

                          > Hi Mary,
                          >
                          > On 10 April 2011 10:03, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Hi Tom,
                          > >
                          > > I think Herman is saying that narrative and/or explanation adds nothing to
                          > > experience, whereas I'm arguing narrative is a way of communicating.
                          > >
                          > Sure. But narrative is not only a way of communicating. It can also be a way
                          > of being neurotic. (I am not claiming that that about anyone)
                          >
                          > > I doubt he advocates grunting and pointing, but I'm not sure of his
                          > existential or philosophical point either.
                          >
                          > What would be the purpose of narrating oneself to oneself?
                          >

                          > I view him and Bill at the extremes of existentialism, but like you I'm not
                          > one to be burning heretics. I listen but don't have to agree :)
                          >
                          > Thank God for that :-).
                          >

                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Herman
                          > Herman, Thank what? Bill
                          >

                          > > Mary
                          > >

                          > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Herman
                          > > > The narrative can never encompas the totality of the reality described,
                          > > but
                          > > > it is his remembrance of his experience of a given day.
                          > > >
                          > > > Tom

                        • irvhal
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 9, 2011
                            Narratives, or said differently, the concepts by which we apprehend reality, may be arbitrary, or correct or wrong. But we can rest assured that Being -- be it fatal or fortuitous in its lessons --will always show us the errors of our ways.

                            Irvin
                          • Herman
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11, 2011
                              Hi Bill,

                              On 10 April 2011 11:49, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:

                              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Mary,
                              >

                              > > On 10 April 2011 10:03, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > Hi Tom,
                              > > >
                              > > > I think Herman is saying that narrative and/or explanation adds nothing
                              > > > experience, whereas I'm arguing narrative is a way of communicating.
                              > > >
                              > > Sure. But narrative is not only a way of communicating. It can also be a
                              > way
                              > > of being neurotic. (I am not claiming that that about anyone)
                              > >
                              > > > I doubt he advocates grunting and pointing, but I'm not sure of his
                              > > existential or philosophical point either.
                              > >
                              > > What would be the purpose of narrating oneself to oneself?
                              > >

                              > > I view him and Bill at the extremes of existentialism, but like you I'm
                              > not
                              > > one to be burning heretics. I listen but don't have to agree :)
                              > >
                              > > Thank God for that :-).
                              > >

                              > > Cheers
                              > >
                              > > Herman
                              > > Herman, Thank what? Bill

                              Yeah, sorry, my evil :-)

                              Out of interest, IYO, does narrating oneself to oneself make it all
                              worthwhile?

                              Cheers

                              Herman