chivalry

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      Folks,

      I am watching an old [1957] TV episode of Sir
      Lancelot. I found another example of an
      absolute rule .. this time of chivalry:

      "A squire [young lad accompanying a knight]
      can't be punished for the deeds of his
      knight". So says Sir Lancelot to the lowly
      kitchen boy, whom he makes a squire, whilst
      journeying to save the fair Helen.

      So there you have it. Said by Sir Lancelot
      himself. What better authority!! Sir
      Lancelot would not lie.

      eduard
    • Yulian K. Gaard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
        Dear Eduard, Dear all ...

        I think that the ancient codes of moral values are beautifull when seen from the "upper" side and very villed with magical adventure and fun. However, I do think that was taken slightly into a new context.

        Angelic
        Yulian

        Respectfully submitted.

        " Magic is a way of life. "

      • Eduard Alf
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
          Yulian,

          Perhaps. But pause for a moment and think about it. Here was a code which
          although something from the middle ages, pertained to code of behaviour
          regarding how one should treat the defenseless. The squire was simply an
          assistant to the knight and as such there was the consideration that
          although the knight could defend himself [that was his job], it was not
          proper to punish the squire for deeds done by the knight. I believe that
          this sort of thing still exists in the sense of an application of justice.
          We make a distinction between the person who does something wrong [as we may
          perceive it] and someone who may have been present, but not in a position to
          decide or affect the outcome. For example, lets say that there is a person
          who commits a crime. He/she may have a young assistant who is devoted to
          this person and takes care of their daily needs [wash the car, arrange their
          schedule, etc.]. If the person is caught, punishment for the crime is not
          directed to the young assistant. Granted, it depends upon the assistant's
          age and the degree of involvement. But what I am speaking of here is an
          assistant in the same sense as a squire. The point being that we have an
          awareness of a certain code of how we should behave in dealing with the
          crime and its punishment. We are aware that a requirement for behaviour
          which is outside of ourselves. If we do act, then we are aware of how this
          might be done. As such, it would be incorrect to say that there is no valid
          code and that we can behave in a fashion without concern as to a criteria of
          right and wrong. We are thrown into the world, but this world has codes
          which we should follow. And these codes are valid.

          I think that the ancient codes of moral values are beautifull when seen
          from the "upper" side and very villed with magical adventure and fun.
          However, I do think that was taken slightly into a new context.

          Angelic
          Yulian

          Respectfully submitted.

          " Magic is a way of life. "