Re: Changes to existlist

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi Herman,

      Following Aristotle, a virtue is a character trait which contributes to, or is an element of, the good life. And the good life is the environment where there is general well-being and the people are happy and flourish.

      Jim

      > Hi Jim,
      >
      > On 1 April 2011 09:36, Jim <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Agape, in my view, is an irrational virtue, and thus not at all aligned
      > > with what is prudent.
      > >

      > I very much liked your turn of phrase here. But what, then, if anything, is
      > it that confers "virtuehood" on one irrational thing and not an irrational
      > other thing?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Herman

    • Jim
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 3, 2011
        Herman,

        If I recall we had this conversation about two years ago.

        I agree Aristotle had a moral blind spot when it came to slaves (and women), and this blind spot is a serious blight on his ethics as a whole.

        However, Aristotle was no individualist. He argued that the good life could only occur within the polis, i.e. within a `civilised' state where there was respect almost equals and all contributed to the governance of the state.

        I would extend Aristotle's idea of the polis to the whole of humankind. My ability to live the good life does not just depend on whether I can manifest personal virtues, it also depends on the levels of unhappiness and injustice in my community.

        Jim