Re: Changes to existlist

    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 30, 2011
      While some take to the streets and die for free speech, others resort to internet forums to settle old scores with surrogates or develop new grudges with fresh disputants. It isn't pointless to discuss free speech parameters, because discussion groups are different from our homes, places of business, taverns, or any other physical space. If they weren't, few would bother with on-line venues. Bill knows I admire most of his gonzo writing, yet he once recognized the challenge of being creative rather than merely crass and combative. If we're certain of our convictions, dropping some unique expletives can be effective, but distracting if directed personally. Louise exhorted us to be succinct rather than scurrilous, appreciating it takes effort to advance arguments. I recall she devoutly defended free speech but respected this particular group's guidelines for discussing existentialism. I miss all that.

      Mary
    • Jim
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 3 1:44 AM
        Herman,

        If I recall we had this conversation about two years ago.

        I agree Aristotle had a moral blind spot when it came to slaves (and women), and this blind spot is a serious blight on his ethics as a whole.

        However, Aristotle was no individualist. He argued that the good life could only occur within the polis, i.e. within a `civilised' state where there was respect almost equals and all contributed to the governance of the state.

        I would extend Aristotle's idea of the polis to the whole of humankind. My ability to live the good life does not just depend on whether I can manifest personal virtues, it also depends on the levels of unhappiness and injustice in my community.

        Jim