Re: [existlist] Changes to existlist

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 30, 2011
      I see you.

      On 30 March 2011 22:48, praemunite <praemunite@...> wrote:

      > What does your sentence about brain-injured people have to do with this?
      > You are a bully.
      >

      > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
      >
      > > As they say in the ol' Na'vi language, I see you.
      > >
      > > Something you do not know about me, I am also a carer for brain-injured
      > > people.
      > >
      > > You have no excuse.
      > >
      > > I see you.
      > >

      > > On 30 March 2011 22:20, praemunite <praemunite@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Herman,
      > > > I find you to be one of the most hateful people I've ever read on this
      > > > list.
      > > > I was sorry you were back.
      > > > You are scary smart but really really awful.
      > > > Go away.

      > > the
      > > it

      > > > understand
      > > the

    • Jim
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 3, 2011
        Herman,

        If I recall we had this conversation about two years ago.

        I agree Aristotle had a moral blind spot when it came to slaves (and women), and this blind spot is a serious blight on his ethics as a whole.

        However, Aristotle was no individualist. He argued that the good life could only occur within the polis, i.e. within a `civilised' state where there was respect almost equals and all contributed to the governance of the state.

        I would extend Aristotle's idea of the polis to the whole of humankind. My ability to live the good life does not just depend on whether I can manifest personal virtues, it also depends on the levels of unhappiness and injustice in my community.

        Jim