Changes to existlist

  • William
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 29 4:05 PM
      Herman deserves to be asked if he still beats his wife. We all understand loaded questions and herman thinks himself a clever master. Come on Herman do you care at all about my definition of free speech, I wasn`t in the Free speach movement. Were You? Bill
    • Jim
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 3, 2011
        Herman,

        If I recall we had this conversation about two years ago.

        I agree Aristotle had a moral blind spot when it came to slaves (and women), and this blind spot is a serious blight on his ethics as a whole.

        However, Aristotle was no individualist. He argued that the good life could only occur within the polis, i.e. within a `civilised' state where there was respect almost equals and all contributed to the governance of the state.

        I would extend Aristotle's idea of the polis to the whole of humankind. My ability to live the good life does not just depend on whether I can manifest personal virtues, it also depends on the levels of unhappiness and injustice in my community.

        Jim