Re: existentialism

  • masha
    Message 1 of 275 , Jan 2, 2002
      jascook12 wrote:

      > Could someone please explain what existentialism means?

      I loved G. Walten's explanation but I thought you might like to get an
      answer from another perspective as well. I recently submitted this in
      answer to the same question on another list. Most of the material I have
      read on the subject is in Swedish so I am not sure of how to translate
      all the terms properly but I have done my best to make the meaning
      clear. I hope it helps. Comments and critticisms leading to improvment
      are welcome.

      In rough accordance with the Concise Oxford Dictionary (english
      english): existentialism is a philosophical theory emphasizing existence
      of individual persons as free and responsible agents determining each
      their own own development.

      According to the not so concise Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
      (american english): existentialism is a chiefly 20th century
      philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on
      analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the
      plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for his
      acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or
      wrong or good or bad.

      That is what existentialism, as you put it, means. However it is of
      precious little help to someone who really wants to come to grips with
      the idea. For that you must first grasp humanism, even wax historical
      and cast your attention back roughly 500 years to the beginning of
      secularism in order to gain an helpful perspective.

      If you will bear with me I would like to try, not to tell you what
      existentialism means but describe, in saga fashion, the surrounding
      conditions, genesis and evolution of the idea. Please bear in mind that
      I am in no way trying to say that this is the only way to see things. I
      am no expert. What follows is a description of the view to which I
      subscribe.

      Here goes:

      During the 16th and 17th centuries (1500 & 1600) scientific discoveries
      (copernicus, galileo, newton etc.) changed people's view of the world.
      The earth, in heretical defiance of official holy reality, orbited
      around the sun instead of vice verse. It was a globe not a flat disc.
      The universe was a large "mechanism" bound by rules. You get the
      picture.

      The image of god as an enormous omnipotent and omnipresent ruler who
      saw to his will in all things, places and moments in divine person began
      to change to one of a sort of clock maker who had created the universe,
      set it in motion and then withdrawn. He let everything function
      according to the laws of nature which he "of course" had made.

      Scientific discoveries and technology led people to believe that
      humanity could understand and control its world. People began to dare to
      think that there may be no god at all. The influence of christianity
      began to diminish. SECULARISM was afoot.

      In the growing space left by the churches receding borders of influence
      arose two main currents of thought: Humanism and Naturalism. These
      occurrences did not find place in the world without event, as it were. I
      will not, however, dwell on the bricks and torches of outraged theism
      but move swiftly on to the rifles an bayonets of
      pissed off americans and frenchmen.

      During the 18th century (1700), a period of enlightenment, with its
      deification of human reason, modern HUMANISM began to develop. Toward
      the end of the 18th century this new enlightened view of the human being
      was drawn together and summed up in two important documents. Both came
      into being in revolutionary circumstances.

      1/ The Declaration of Independence. Drawn up by congress in Philadelphia
      in 1776 in the beginning of the american colony's revolt against
      England.

      2/ The Declaration of Human and Citizen rights. Drawn up by the french
      national what-ya-ma-call-it during the french revolution in 1789.

      Optimism concerning humanity's ability to create a better world through
      the use of reason grew and flourished up to and through 1800. In 1900
      wars, totalitarian dictators, genocide etc. proved that respect for
      human worth did not run very deep.

      In 1948 the United Nations reconfirmed humanism and human worth in a
      document it/they produced called The Declaration of Human Rights. This
      provided the first international standard against which behavior could
      be measured.

      The main idea in all forms of humanism is that humans (humanity) are the
      most important of all life on earth. A human is in the unique position
      of being the only being that has what is called in my language
      "egenverdi." Transliterated it comes out own worth or value i.e. worth
      or value based solely on the fact that s/he exists.

      In a conflict between human interests and the interest of anything else
      the human interest is given priority. Every thing else that exists has
      or has not value according to whether or not it serves some human
      interest or need and its degree of value depends on how much or well it
      does this. IMO this is why our planet is so gravely screwed up.

      Further, since all humans are in possession of reason they should all
      have equal worth. Every human should be given the opportunity to realize
      his/her potential. Humanism makes no distinctions between, race or
      nationality and hopefully gender, whatever that may be.

      Christian humanism values not only the souls but also the bodies of
      humans. The body and its needs, food, drink, warmth sexual contact etc.
      are not evil or of lower status but an important part of human existence
      and behavior.

      According to the older form of humanism a human is congenitally good
      natured. A decent upbringing and education, it was believed, would
      bring this out. It was reasoned that since, first and foremost, it is
      our intellectual capacity that separates us from animals, we must
      therefore develop this through upbringing and education.

      The wars and various abattoir regimes of the 20th century (1900) have
      reduced the credibility of this view. However humanism still focuses on
      cultivation of the good sides of the human being.

      Since it has been acknowledged that the fact that a person knows "what
      is right" does not guarantee that s/he will do "what is right" humanism
      has developed an activist side to itself and is ready and willing to
      defend humanist ideology against e.g. racism and fascism.

      Humanism treats the concepts of right and wrong, good and evil in a
      relatively simple way. Its judgments are based on a humans' "own
      value". To act correctly is then to act in a way which helps people to
      realize their potential. To act wrongly is to act in a way which
      violates, (damages or hinders) people's possibilities in life.

      Humanism relates to and speaks of humans in general, as a species. It
      views the individual as a representative for the whole of humanity.

      We have now arrived at the matter in question, EXISTENTIALISM. It is a
      form of humanism which views the individual human as the central and
      most important aspect of humanity. It relates to humans in their
      actual/current life situation
      here and now.

      Søren Kierkagaard (1813-1855) is considered the founder of this current.
      For him it was only the individual and his experience of his environment
      or situation which is important: subjectivity is the truth. He was a
      christian existentialist.

      Jean Paul Sartre (1905-1980) was an atheist and the greatest champion of
      atheistic or SECULAR EXISTENTIALISM. It can be summed up in six key
      concepts: existence, freedom, choice, anxiety, authenticity and
      responsibility.

      It is its view of the human situation or condition which is particular
      to existentialism and the inclusion/exclusion of God in/from the
      equation which separates theistic and secular existentialism.
    • mary.jo11
      Message 275 of 275 , Jan 4, 2008
        Also, Fathers and Sons by Turgenev, and Todd Olivier's biography of
        Camus.