Re: [existlist] Morals

  • Bill Harris
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2002
      Eduard, One of the problems is that the bureauacracy is constantly trying to
      pass the buck on the environment, that is even more true with ag/
      environmental issues. State, local and federal entities all want as little
      to do with it as possible, powerful lobbies whose identities might suprise
      you are at work to insure cheap food and flooded markets. There is no land
      stewardship just bottom line accounting. Nitrogen and neurotoxins are in
      abundant supply, Ask the fishermen in the gulf of mexico, where our garbage
      flows to the sea, I understand the mess can be seen to extend two hundred
      miles into the gulf>. A friend who owns several farms in the area has been
      told to keep his mouth shut about the whole business. Since there is no
      excuse to be offered that is probably a good tactic. Most involved in this
      situation would consider themselves moral people. For years they pled
      ignorance, but now that becomes more difficult. The lead editorial in the
      Des Moines register now trumpets the situation, so many years too late.
      Family values are preached from pulpits all over the state. Sinful internet
      sexuality is a common evil to be combatted. Those same familys make their
      living from highly polluting agbusiness. What is the difference between
      those aggangsters and mafia familys? As long as the women and children do
      not know the sins can be kept secret by the father. Just as the mafioso goes
      to mass, the christian family head stands tall in his pew, a pillar of his
      congregation. Morality just doesnt do the job when money and power are on
      the table. Bill ----- Original Message -----
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 2, 2002
        Bill,

        Like I said, I feel for you. People prefer to turn a blind eye to the
        problem, since money is involved. The same thing happens here. There is a
        lot of communities up river which do not have proper run-off facilities.
        When it rains, they have to close all the beaches around Ottawa. And now
        the Rideau Canal, which links Ottawa to Lake Ontario [it was built by the
        British as a military project in view possible US invasion] is being
        overcome with weeds. The same happens to the Ottawa. I sort of live a
        dilemma. When the water is too cold and I cant go swimming, the weeds have
        yet to proliferate, but in late summer when the water is warmer, there is
        nothing but weeds.

        I can understand your problem with a relatively closed society. It is easy
        to convince oneself that sex on the internet is more of an issue than toxins
        in the aquifer.