Bums bones

  • William
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
      Madoff is starting to talk and he has made a statement that I would like to examine. He says the US government is a ponsi scheme. In the con you trick the mark into giving you his money . You assure him his money is appreciating and you talk others into giving you their money. You spend,buy assets with it but only pay out if pressured. Paying out adds confidence to the scheme and gets you more marks to convince of your good deal.The more greedy people you know the faster it grows. Burnie thinks he did nothing wrong and accuses the US government of the same system. I will leave it up to you to consider that accusation.
      Now Charley Sheen says AA is a pharse, treatment is bogus, drug laws are a racket with police, and he is special . I am sure if he keeps up that rap someone will take him out. He should ,like Burnie, start wearing a vest,the bullet proof kind. A lot of people make their living doing things that revolve around finance, drugs,cops, counselors ECT ,Ect, Ect.
      In my angry moments I find it easy to listen to these people as erradicating a part of the problem seems reasonable. It just will not work. All we can do is struggle on, putting patches on the roof when the rain gets in. Tearing off the roof is not the answer and I do not think there is any ideological answer. It is a hard, situation by situation slog.
      That is an existential response and allows me to disagree with the aforementioned gentlemen. Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
        Bill

        I agree with Sheen that drug laws are a racket as well as a number of other police rackets. As far as AA and treatment, I think it works for some. I think Sheen is babbling on like a typical far gone coke head, who happens to be a rich celebrity, but I think he is correct on drug laws.As for government, certainly social security has been operated as a ponzi scheme. In the 70s congress voted for increases in social security to get votes with a small number of retirees as compared to all the boomers in work force then. As boomers retire, in affect beginning withdrawals from ponzi scheme, the fact that it was a scheme is increasingly apparent. I am not arguing against there being a social security program, but I am arguing that it should have been vested. Of course the caveat in any political theory is the honesty and good will of the politicians voting on laws.

        Peace
        Tom

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
          Tom, The drug laws are built on prejudices, racism and very little science. As someone mentioned the heavy opiates can disable a society and need control. That does not mean all substances are in the same class. The laws are worse than the drugs so there seems to be a direction we might explore. They are selling pot in Washington St. It is at a public convention, we could have a real war on drugs on our hands. It seems many ,many young people are fed up with management,all over the world. That is a good thing ,as they are beginning to care what happens to them. They are not going to like what they find. They are going to find lying crooks like Madoff, they are going to find snorted out ego maniacs like Charley. Those are the nonviolent ones, try on Gadaffe or Amadeanajohn who are more on a par with Hitler and Mussolini than any business crook.
          Every now and then we get a shot at a crazy and it is a true executive decision to take him out or allow him to remain. Yes we are patching holes but it is better than when Hitler held Europe and Japan controlled the Pacific. We have to keep retiring the mad men while giving example of legitimate government. Thats a big damn job but we have been managing it for many years. A thing isnt a ponsi scheme just because it leaks, everything degrades and needs revision. It is a ponsi scheme if it was built to defrade by confidence. I just do not see Jefferson in that dark light. Bill
        • tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
            Bill

            When did I ever speak ill of Jefferson? I describe any plan based on paying out excessive returns being financed not by moneys invested and earned in the past as at least sort of a ponzi scheme. Returns disproportionate to contrubutions and earnings to me are ponzi earmarks. Its like the saying "Too good to be true".
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
              Tom, I do not know if there is a clear and definitive definition of the Ponsi scheme. Madoff offers the excuse he did not mean to defrade anyone. Because of that he is not guilty. Those are the thoughts of an autocrat. I know you like Jefferson and I apologise if you think I portrayed you as anything else. I am sure jefferson had never heard of a Ponsi game. I do not think they had identified a pyramid scheme in TJ`s time. Myer Lanski comes to mind manipulating the numbers racket and guys that understood numbers and muscle were in labor,gamboling and loan sharking. Jefferson might have spoken of usuary but the rest of those crimes came a lot later.
              So who gets the Libian oil? Who pays for the no fly zone? The Brits will try to claim it but the Italians have a dog in the fight. I think it time to get the oil money in a fund liquid enough to feed the Libian people. How long do you think it will take to starve the mad man out? If it is too long we should blast him out, perhaps someone who really wants the oil might do the dirty work. In a world of rough justice that seems about right. Bill
            • tom
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2011
                Bill

                Certainly Gadaffe or Amadeanajohn are very negative forces in the world, but we had a president, Bush 2 who from most accounts got the US to attack and occupy Iraq on false premises, resulting in the death of over a million Iraqis. I'd guess Bush/Cheney are the world leaders for 21st century in having blood on their hands.

                Peace
                Tom