Re: [existlist] Re: On capitalism and speed cameras (again)

  • tom
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 28, 2011
      I am all for cutting down a defense budget that was justified for 45 years on the basis of the cold war;whereas with the cold war over, the contractors and workers still want to see it expand. However, I am not in favor of increasing the police state's funding with such cuts. I perceive the military and police/prison industrial complex as two arms of big brother. Ceasing to arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate victimless crime would save enough money for cops to get more busy investigating crimes with victims, plus free from incarceration and/or probation and parole, millions of victimless criminals.

      Interestingly, I heard from its founding till 1920 the US never had expenses of federal government over 3% except in times of war. Now it is about 25%.

      Tom.
      From: Jim <jjimstuart1@...>
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 28, 2011, 7:37 AM

      Brandon,

      You may some good points.

      I fully agree with you that the police should spend most of their time on the more serious crimes, and I agree that most cases of traffic violations are minor offences.

      I fear the police in your country are not given enough money and resources to pursue the more serious, the more difficult to solve, crimes. Perhaps your government needs to put up taxes so more public money can be given to the police so they can pursue the serious crimes more rigorously.

      In the UK I tend to vote for the party that favours high taxation, as I think high taxation is the way towards a better society where crime is reduced, and ordinary citizens have good healthcare, good schools, etc.

      Jim

    • tom
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 28, 2011