Re:[existlist] On capitalism and speed cameras

  • tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2011
      Jim

      The US is a police state primarily because it has the highest incarceration rate in the world. There were speed limits in the US long before the oil crisis which occured in the mid 70s. Over the last 10 years or so, I have been quite fortunate in having lawyer friends go in and talk to the assistant District Attorney a few minutes before the trials, and get ticket dismissed. These two lawyer friends haved died, but for about $50 I think there are law firms who will do the same thing. Actually, I am not a particularly fast driver, and have occasionally been kidded by friends about such. As for being Luddite in rejecting modern technology, I certainly reject technological progress that empowers the police state. Orwell's "1984" was a fictional look at the possibilities of technological innovation giving the government capabilities that the Inquisitor of Madrid could only dream of. Certainly the late George Orwell and Keith Richards represent Brits who had as much hate and contempt for the police state as any Yank. . About 10 years ago when Keith and Jagger were offered knighthood by the crown, Jagger accepted but Keith turned it down saying "These were the same people who were trying to drive us out of existence in the 60s".Americans who are fans of Rush Limbaugh, Seane Hannity etc are often worshipers of cops and soldiers, so obviously not all Americans are as freedom loving as Wil, Bil, Brandon, and myself.

      Jim, like myself you are opposed to the US aggressions in the mideast over the last 9 and a half years or so, as in "1984" perpetual wars abroad and police state at home go together. The same government that uses trickery and deceipt to deceive the public into backing aggression on 3rd world nations is the same government that uses trickery to persuade the public into backing the growth of the police state at home. As for my objections to public employeees having the position of minor aristocracy, yes I object;and particularly when the employees are involved in reducing human freedom. With globalization,it is becoming evident that there is very little an American can do that a citizen of India can not, so this puts limits on the private enterprise worker. Since most government jobs are not candidates for globalization, they have been able to avoid competition with workers in the east.Interestingly, on several occasions in my life, I was given speeding tickets, and the cops told me that they were listing my violation as 5 miles over speed limit rather than maybe 13 or whatever. The last one was by an older black cop, who told me it would come up in a certain judge's court, and that he was a nice man who would likely dismiss the charges.I got a lawyer friend to go into DAs office, and a minute they come out with ticket dismissed.Interestingly, I have many times been driving on the expressways going maybe 10 miles over the speed limit, and saw through rear vision mirror cops behind me. I slowed down fearing being stopped, but the cops zoomed by me going maybe 20 or more miles over the speed limit. Its not like cops believe in this stuff. They just believe in good wages, good benefits and great retirement plans. I have heard that during alcohol prohibition in the US, cops, DAs, judges etc were often seen in speakeasies,enjoying a few illegal drinks, and understand that most of the judges in Chicago at that time were on Al Capone's payroll. Similar things have permeated the war on drugs, with arrests being made on unconnected dealers to make the quotas. In 30 years since Reagan started his war on drugs, the price of cocaine is much lower now than then. .

      America's Worst Speed Traps
      print
      send
      a.. e-mail this page
      b.. IM this page
      a.. Share
      b.. retweet
      Buzz Up!
      By Cindy Perman
      If you've ever been pulled over for speeding, you know it feels like you're a gazelle that just got taken down by a lion.

      And, while this recession, and the gaping budget holes that resulted, have turned most cities into a jungle for motorists, there are some cities that have far more speed traps than others. And automated traffic cams have only egged them on. Now, they can snag just as many motorists for speeding, if not more, with less manpower.

      MORE AT CNBC.COM
      a.. » America's Worst Speed Traps
      b.. » Cheapest Cities to Own a Car
      c.. » Where the Rich Are Moving
      d.. » Cars With the Best Resale Value

      It's hard to get this information from the police or the courts for two reasons: 1) Many tickets are negotiated in court and 2) speed limits, while originally designed to conserve fuel during the energy crisis of the 1970s, have grown into a cash cow for states and municipalities-and they don't want you to know how much they're making off of speeding tickets.

      "Speed limits are supposed to be based on factual studies of traffic and what the majority of motorists deem as a safe speed," said Chad Dornsife, director of the Highway Safety Group . "Now, the posted limit has become a revenue generator-not a safety device."

      The National Motorists Association, a drivers' rights group, estimates that speeding tickets are a $4.5 to $6 billion industry in America.

      To be clear, speeding tickets aren't just for lead foots: In some places, they'll ticket you for going one mile over the speed limit and others set the speed limits artificially low.

      "In some places, the average speed limit is set 10 to 15 miles below the actual safe speed for conditions," Dornsife said. "It makes technical violators out of people otherwise driving safely. .

[...]

      VICTIMLESS CRIME

      Jesus Christ was crucified

      for commiting a victimless crime

      by the same cats that have been in the cross-building business

      since the beginning of time.

      Now Pontius Pilate couldn't see anything

      Jesus had done wrong,

      but he washed his hands of the matter

      after he did what was politically expedient

      to get along.

      Groovy man

      by the Cool Cat