Re: [existlist] Re: Fear of a Muslim Planet

  • tom
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2011
      Jim

      I certainly don't count on government to be better than the people. My observations are the opposite; and in my opinion, votes contra to public opinions are usually motivated to pleasing behind the scenes political contributers and various patrons. My view is that most Egyptians want democracy, but such voters in such a democracy will probably elect a government that is theocratic as is Iran. The overthrow of the Shaw in Iran brought in the religious leader the Ayotolah Kremeni. Interestingly during the USSR occupation of Afghanistan the CIA gave large numbers of text books to bew used in school promoting the more extremist Islamic views. In the Bush years, the Republican party was made up of economic conservatives, social conservatives, and neocons who justified invasions and occupations of the mideast as freeing the people from their forms of social conservatism. In my opinion, the aggressive presence of the US in the mideast causes many otherwise moderates to join with the extremists.

      Peace
      Tom