Re: [existlist] Re: madison shuffle

  • tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2011
      Bill

      You refer to the frequent effect of being gassed as stimulating, rather than reducing aggression. I believe the war on terror is in many ways similar in that I suspect US actions since 911 in the mideast have caused many formerly moderate Islamists to move toward the extreme as family members,and close friends were killed and maimed, and they or loved ones falsely imprisoned, tortured, had businesses and farms destroyed etc. If you were a moderate Muslim or even a mideasterner with secular inclinations, and then the US invaded and occupied your nation, you might reconsider the extremist ideas of the US as being the Great Satan that you had previously rejected. Someone shooting missiles into your village, making drone attacks,torturing you or your loved ones in prison sounds a bit like what someone might expect the Great Satan to do. Of course, like many I increasingly doubt that the powers are as dumb as they seem. Or they really wanting to maintain peace, or is the indiscriminate gassing of protestors like the mideast policy really a clever ploy to stir up shit. The history of France and later US in Vietnam, USSR in Afghanistan,or US in Afghanistan and Iraq proves to me that although 3rd world nations are easily invaded by super powers, the attempt to occupy usually proves costly in lives and money.If I have figured that out in recent years, it is hard to believe that all these military men had not figured that out. If you remenber the song "Amos Moses" about the Louisiana Sherif going after Amos in the Louisiana swamp, and it sings Well the Sheriff got wind that Amos
      Was in the swamp tracking alligator skin.
      So he snuck in the swamp, gonna get the boy,
      But he never come out again.
      Well I wonder where the Louisiana Sheriff went to?
      Well you can sure get lost in the Louisiana Bayou!

      As well as

      Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
      Same as my daddy and his daddy before
      You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
      He only came to town about twice a year
      He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
      Everybody knew that he made moonshine
      Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
      He headed up the holler with everything he had
      It's before my time but I've been told
      He never came back from Copperhead Road

      The Uncle Remus tale of Brer Rabbit being thrown into the briarpatches has a similar message.

      It has a terrible track record, and as I say I increasingly see the establishment as pretending to be dumb like a shortchange artist.

      Peace
      Tom