Re: [existlist] Budget battles

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2011
      Mary

      I guessed that part of the exemption for cops might be so that there would be police to deal with demonstrations if they got out of hand. Of course, you understand that police and firemen voted for Walker to a large extent, and if so that might be as big a factor or more so than my paradigm. The fact that in many cases both parties compete to get public employee support is a very big reason state budgets are in the red in so many states.

      In a private conversation that was inadvertently taped by a voicemail machine (audio below), an associate of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown can be heard referring to his Republican opponent Meg Whitman as a "whore" for cutting a deal protecting law enforcement pensions as the two candidates competed for police endorsements.

      The comment came after Brown called the Los Angeles Police Protective League in early September to ask for its endorsement. He left a voicemail message for Scott Rate, a union official. Brown apparently believed he had hung up the phone, but the connection remained intact and the voice mail machine captured an ensuing conversation between Brown and his aides.

      .

      "Do we want to put an ad out? . That I have been warned if I crack down on pensions, I will be - that they'll go to Whitman, and that's where they'll go because they know Whitman will give 'em, will cut them a deal, but I won't," Brown said.

      At that point, what appears to be a second voice interjects: "What about saying she's a whore?"

      "Well, I'm going to use that," Brown responds. "It proves you've cut a secret deal to protect the pensions."

      Actually, it dosn't seem to me that we are totally at opposite ends of this question as you agree teacher unions are a big barrier to education reform, and admit you are not a big fan of public employee unions.Like you I am also quite suspicious of the many high profile people allegedly killed by lone nuts in the last 47 years or so. This is just a guess on my part, but if it were possible to do a study on the impact of much above average wage deals for public employees; I'd bet it often takes from much less affluent Peters to pay better off Pauls.]If attempts were made to only increase taxes on upper income people and corporations to finance the minor aristocracy of public employees, it very well might result in a trend of many of them leaving the state. Inj Tennessee the sales tax is 10% on most items. In the mid 60s I think it was about 3%. I understand to a great extent this is widespead through many regions.Cops in Memphis can retire after 25 years. If lucky enough to get hired at 21 they could retire at 46. Most will then get another law enforcement job and have two incomes.

      Peace

      Tom