For Dick

  • William
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
      I am prepairing for the Super Bowl which is emblymatic of our real religion, FOOTBALL. It is crass and overblown but it is better than this blasted and unending winter. We got blasted by more snow and the wife got a hummer stuck in the front yard. There is no place to put more snow so we park in the yards.
      I think those who evolved in warmer climes had a jump on we cave and hut dwellers of the north. They could see the stars year round and could observe the cycles of the Zodiak year round.
      Your idea of a more evolved species could be happening as we watch. Both experience and the books will meld with computers ,communication and innovative thinking might move us to greater understanding of our place in this universe. My astrolathe points to the pole star and if the sun would come out it might suggest the time of day. Such a complex and artful instrument with no moving parts but unceasing function. At one time it was supreme in the theory of time and its inventor may have been a separate departure of the advanced man.
      It seems Americans believe in competition to be the cradle of invention. The space race with the Russians cemented that in our minds so we pursue too much from a competative perspective.
      You are fortunate to be in England this weekend as the Superbowl is a piggish,capitalist feast. You can`t get properly fucked up as the next day is a workday. The bosses understand that and grant a half assed holiday in the zenith of winter. We must keep those noses to the gring stone as the mighty bottom line must be achieved. So have a nice game of chess as we watch giant men crush and mash each other into submission. Now we walk out on the game and watch the commercials, sometimes I think we are going into devolution. Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
        Bill

        I read by mid 60s football eclipsed baseball as the national sport. Maybe the more aggressive nature of football was in line as America moved into a foreign policy of perpetual war, and also around that time public figures started getting murdered by loner crazy gunmen, as well as dying in private airplane crashes.I think commercial radio is more oriented to propaganda now than profit, and new rock and roll is not there to compete with propaganda from Rush, Hannity etc.I suspect Clear Channel is allied with military industrial complex and oil interest, and promoting their agenda is more important than immediate profit from advertising revenues. I am not saying it isnt profitable, but suspect that is a secondary goal. They have bigger fish to fry.

        Peace
        Tom

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
            In my opinion, the term defense is a misnomer since the demise of the USSR. The Dept of War was as in "Orwellian Newspeak" changed to dept of defense in late 40s allegedly to defend against possible USSR aggression.It is as if Mike Tyson was taking steroids for his fight wityh Lennox Lewis, and now the steroid salesman is insisting he needs to keep increasing the dose to be safe from you or I. As long as fighting terrorism is a justification for increasing huge defense budget, I suspect certain forces will be sure that terrorism continues. Sometime google how 2 hijackers passports survived the explosions and fires that destroyed the black box, but just happened to be found, 1 in rubble and 1 on sidewalk. Anybody who believes that sounds like a potential customer for lakeside property.

            Peace
            Tom
            > I read by mid 60s football eclipsed baseball as the national sport. Maybe the more aggressive nature of football was in line as America moved into a foreign policy of perpetual war, and also around that time public figures started getting murdered by loner crazy gunmen, as well as dying in private airplane crashes.I think commercial radio is more oriented to propaganda now than profit, and new rock and roll is not there to compete with propaganda from Rush, Hannity etc.I suspect Clear Channel is allied with military industrial complex and oil interest, and promoting their agenda is more important than immediate profit from advertising revenues. I am not saying it isnt profitable, but suspect that is a secondary goal. They have bigger fish to fry.
            >
            > Peace
            > Tom
            > Tom ,just put it down as advertising expense. You advertise me and I advertise you and we both laugh all the way to the bank. Certainly Us puts the fierce aggression right out in front this weekend. I agree enough people have been blown away to insure our street creds. We can still field a creditable army and the reflective ones in the world are damn glad. If you are going to be a populist democracy you better be a bad ass. I think we still quilify. Bill

          • rwr
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
              Do you really need this nationalistic fandango of mob culture to cling
              to like a security blanket? You don't have to allow others to drag
              you down to their level, nor migrate to it of your own choosing. Is it
              filling a gap of some kind? Oh well, good luck. Remember what your
              momma don tol you when you were in knee pants.

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <v.valleywestdental@...>