reincarnation as an impossibility

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2011
      Dick, I am not going to change your mind nor will you change mine but this can be an exercise in definition of the mystical stance and the atheistic existential. I see no way to prove either hypothesis as you logically cannot prove that something does not exist. The hypothesis of continued existance beyond death has a possibility and you must be allowed to hold it but as a belief ,not a proven fact.
      I view your position having read it for many years as agnostic. That is a good position if it gives you solice. I see it as a form of what you detest, that being a form of spirtualism. You postulate some continuing entity that continues for mystics. That smacks of elitism as I do not think you extend the privledge to we non mystical peons. Please do not worry,I can handle the resentment, the certainty of death is a much bigger hurdle than your superiority complex.
      I think you see time as a one way progression and do not believe in cyclic time therefore reincarnation in the eastern sense does not seem a part of your cosmology. Since you have not died and have not become whatever you become I cannot press you for details of how it will be for you. I cannot prove that when I die my existance ends but I can say with high certainty I will die. I think that is it,terminus. I have dissected the human body down to microscopic trash and there was no coherant self left in the rubble.
      You write from a position unacceptable for a continental existentialist. You are not of sartre,camus or FN, you expouse something different . So I stand to defend the tradition of continental existentialism and brand you as a defector, renegade and posier. Personally I like you but must defend my ideas against yours and so as the pharoah says"let it be written,let it be done" Bill