When Galaxies Collide

  • rwr
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2011
      When Galaxies Collide

      In such an event, and which are common it seems, the only thing that
      matters would be to that of any life forms in the vicinity of such a
      collision. If there were no life forms thereabouts then it would not
      matter a damn what happened. It is estimated that a collision, or
      union, between this, our galaxy, and that of the Andromeda galaxy will
      occur during the lifetime of our sun. That of course does not mean
      during the time when life can exist on earth. But what of life in
      either galaxy at the event of such a merging?

      It would of course be a slow event lasting millions of years, but even
      that is short term in cosmological terms of time. It is not a case of
      individual stars colliding, for that is an almost zero possibility,
      although it could indeed happen to some of them maybe. However, what
      effect would the sum of the forces involved have on existing forms of
      life within those galaxies? I wonder if any life forms have ever
      existed to experience such an event local to them. It is hardly likely
      that any civilisation, no matter how far advanced they were, could
      possibly have any control over such an event, other than to perhaps get
      the hell out of that region if they had that potential. Kind of
      world-hopping at a faster rate than the cataclysmic forces were racing
      towards them within their own galaxy. Another possible alternative
      might be to get the hell out of that galaxy altogether; and assuming
      that such a thing were even possible.

      Then, on the other hand, such an event might not make the least bit of
      difference to their existence, and thus requiring no action to be taken
      at all. But you could only know that for sure after the event. If they
      survived it. It would certainly be fascinating, and a great challenge,
      to be there at the time; and to witness it. Not that you and I will be.
      But somebody might be. I can see no reason as to why not. And there is
      far more to the bigger picture than our cosy little lives here live
      through. But nevertheless even if all life was blown away from both
      galaxies life would go on.

      rwr

    • William
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2011