Wikileaks on the pharoah

  • William
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
      In todays NYT there is a long article concerning The Times part in the security leaks . This matter is coming to light and it is a long but fascinating tale that should be read if you wish to continue to understand the world as it functions today.
      The strange man, Assange, is profiled in the times article and the diplomatic leaks are being blaimed for the revolt in Tunusia thus opening the gates of revolt in Egypt. This is very fast moving and The Times writer admits there is open room for error. A key hole was opened into sources that were previously closed and the knowledge is causing unsuspedted consequences in various places. Will Yemen and Iran ignite?
      Diplomatic channels remain active as Assange has dropped NYT,Das Spiegal and The Guardian because they redacted his material for various reasons. Taliban is said to be going through the material for names of western sympathysers. Assange thinks he will be assinated in a US prison. I think of the Suez canal and world commodity prices. The wikileaks exposed the "Priority access" that the Pharoah granted the US in use of Suez.
      There is a reallignment of world economics ,diplomatic alliances and international politics. I find it fascinating,complex and worthy of attention if not trepedation. It is a time for broad thinking existentialism . Where to meet and where the rocks of revolution can be stashed can be tweeted but why those rocks should be flung is a much more complex matter. Bill
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
        The article was equivocal, at best, but let us remember that the author is Bill Keller, who is not particularly credible on mid-east issues.

        Wil

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
            Political leanings aside, Bill Keller always shills for US middle east policy, including the Iraq War, etc.

            Wil

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011

              > Political leanings aside, Bill Keller always shills for US middle east policy, including the Iraq War, etc.
              >
              > Wil
              >Perhaps it is because he is an American. You might listen to Hillary,Obama and yes the Senator from Arazona. They know this has potential to move in a very many directions. Sure Mccain is a war hawk but even that old war lord is being cautious. Senator Paul jumped right in and ask for reduction of aid to Israel. I wonder what Tom thinks about that.
              I might not side with Keller about the wars but at a time when there is great unease I would like to hear a clear American perspective. It seems Keller was in the meetings with the national security agencys and I would trust the press before the spooks.
              The Shaw of Iran was a slimey dictator, Saddam was a slimey dictator and Mobarik is no better. In doing business with them we avoided total war in the area. Now is a time when another one bites the dust and I would be more happy to see it play out in the streets than in oil company board rooms.This is a huge and enticing world problem that involves us all.Big history,big decisions. Bill

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
                What we have to wait for from the NYT is a dedicated correspondent actually on the ground.

                Wil

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011

                  > What we have to wait for from the NYT is a dedicated correspondent actually on the ground.
                  >
                  > Wil
                  > Wil, dedicated or crazy? Bill

                • tom
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Bill

                    Naturally Senator Paul wants less aid for Israel. Libertarians don't believe foreign aid is authorized by the Constitution, and don't favor interventionism in foreign affairs. I think it is refreshing to have a few voices from the right joining with some left of center liberals to criticize the current US policy of perpetual war. The USSR went under 20 years or so ago, but the military industrial establishment still continues to expand. The military industrial establishment would welcome a peaceful world as happily as the DEA would welcome a drug free America. Wars that can never be won offer great security to the providers.

                    Peace
                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Bill

                        Downsizer.org, a libeertarian site, encourages people to sign letters downsizer will send to congress and add personal comments.People can choose which letters they want to sign. In this way, they are not compromising their principles, but many people support certain aspects but not others of their adenda. Ron Paul in the house for years often works with liberals like Kucinich and Frank on drug war, civil liberties, and curtailing military. Also having libertarians on the side of peace makes it more difficult for pro war radio jocks to pidgeonhole all anti war advocates as communists. Anytime someone is questioning the perpetual war abroad and incarceration nation at home, I say "Good luck"

                        Peace
                        Tom

                        .

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 30, 2011
                          Bill

                          You write
                          >Tom, You guys are starting to get your ideas out but meshing them with traditional right and leftist stances will be complex . The paper here was full of coverage of the affects of rising food prices and ethanol politics. The oil companies dont like renueables like ethanol and wind. We make a good deal of both here in Iowa. We are at the center of the Food/fuel controversy. We also have a throw back Gouvenor who will side with rural interests as he considers himself a country boy. It is a wild hodge podge of interists here but the republican politicians are having trouble getting traction in such a mixed bag of interests. The real losers strike out against the homosexuals and gamboling. The sick,throwbacks are a real drag here. You might find some converts in all the confusion and hate. Bill

                          My point is that it is not likely Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich could ever mesh out a common platform. However on a number of areas they can unite as allies, and on others agree to disagree. In my case, I strongly support the issues that unite them like oppposition to perpetual interventionist wars abroad,and police state prison industrial complex buildup at home/ As for other issues of free market versus mixed economy, I can go back and forth. I am more of a libertarian than a democrat or republican;but more of an independent than anything.

                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 31, 2011
                            > Wil, dedicated or crazy? Bill

                            Ha. Yeah, maybe an insider.