Re: How Nietzsche gets misunderstood by Jared Loughner types

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2011
      Bill,

      Thanks for taking the time to read a very brief explanation of Nietszche's philosophy which contrasts simplistic, uninformed utterances of which I also was formerly guilty.

      I don't think a possible direction lies in women becoming more like men, or vice versa, but in confronting the futility of justified, logical, reasoned murder. Killing in the cause of rebellion, or for any reason, should be a rarity, an exception to the rule of limits. Men willingly send their sons off to war, not women. That it has become commonplace means we live in a nihilistic world which places sacrifice, suicide, and murder above life itself. In this way lies madness. More effeminate men are likely created by the estrogen mimicking chemicals dumped into our environment, while the malaise seems caused by an aspirational void. Whatever our gender roles, we are changing together. Better courage for better causes through artful rebellion and rebellious art!

      The Shield of Achilles
      W. H. Auden

      —She looked over his shoulder
      For vines and olive trees,
      Marble well-governed cities
      And ships upon untamed seas,
      But there on the shining metal
      His hands had put instead
      An artificial wilderness
      And a sky like lead.—

      A plain without a feature, bare and brown,
      No blade of grass, no sign of neighborhood,
      Nothing to eat and nowhere to sit down,
      Yet, congregated on its blankness, stood
      An unintelligible multitude,
      A million eyes, a million boots in line,
      Without expression, waiting for a sign.

      Out of the air a voice without a face
      Proved by statistics that some cause was just
      In tones as dry and level as the place:
      No one was cheered and nothing was discussed;
      Column by column in a cloud of dust
      They marched away enduring a belief
      Whose logic brought them, somewhere else, to grief.

      —She looked over his shoulder
      For ritual pieties,
      White flower-garlanded heifers,
      Libation and sacrifice,
      But there on the shining metal
      Where the altar should have been,
      She saw by his flickering forge-light
      Quite another scene.—

      Barbed wire enclosed an arbitrary spot
      Where bored officials lounged (one cracked a joke)
      And sentries sweated for the day was hot:
      A crowd of ordinary decent folk
      Watched from without and neither moved nor spoke
      As three pale figures were led forth and bound
      To three posts driven upright in the ground.

      The mass and majesty of this world, all
      That carries weight and always weighs the same
      Lay in the hands of others; they were small
      And could not hope for help and no help came:
      What their foes like to do was done, their shame
      Was all the worst could wish; they lost their pride
      And died as men before their bodies died.

      —She looked over his shoulder
      For athletes at their games,
      Men and women in a dance
      Moving their sweet limbs
      Quick, quick, to music,
      But there on the shining shield
      His hands had set no dancing-floor
      But a weed-choked field.—

      A ragged urchin, aimless and alone,
      Loitered about that vacancy; a bird
      Flew up to safety from his well-aimed stone:
      That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
      Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
      Of any world where promises were kept,
      Or one could weep because another wept.

      — The thin-lipped armorer,
      Hephaestos, hobbled away,
      Thetis of the shining breasts
      Cried out in dismay
      At what the god had wrought
      To please her son, the strong
      Iron-hearted man-slaying Achilles
      Who would not live long.—

      Apologies for whatever mutilations of the poem imposed by our format restrictions. I added the em dashes to offset the world of Homer from today's.

      Mary
      .