Happy Nothing-New-Year

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
      Jim,

      My impression of Zizek is that he relishes the potential of the radical. He is said to revel in paradox and irony. He admires the potential of failed fascist and communist movements for their radical visions and ability to inspire, not necessarily their motivations or half-assed programs/pograms. If he's serious about violent overthrow, I'm not with him.

      I wish for a radical or referendum based democracy so that governments would finally realize their ignorance and lack of vision in kowtowing to special interests. Representative democracy, not the average citizen who never had control in the first place, is what requires renascence. When neighbors realize what others actually care about, rather than what they're told to care about, real change might occur.

      Mary

      THIS ONE

      Before this loved one
      Was that one and that one
      A family
      And history
      And ghost's adversity
      Whose pleasing name
      Was neighborly shame.
      Before this last one
      Was much to be done,
      Frontiers to cross
      As clothes grew worse
      And coins to pass
      In a cheaper house
      Before this last one
      Before this loved one.

      Face that the sun
      Is supple on
      May stir but here
      Is no new year;
      This gratitude for gifts is less
      Than the old loss;
      Touching is shaking hands
      On mortgaged lands;
      And smiling of
      This gracious greeting
      `Good day. Good luck'
      Is no real meeting
      But an instinctive look
      A backward love.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
        This poem was written by W.H. Auden, and my decision to post it inspired by a line from The Thin Red Line, "Property. The whole fucking thing's about property." (First Sgt. Edward Welsh)

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
          This poem is by W.H. Auden and my posting inspired by a line spoken by "First Sgt. Edward Welsh" in The Thin Red Line. "Property. The whole fucking thing's about property." Mary

          > THIS ONE
          >
          > Before this loved one
          > Was that one and that one
          > A family
          > And history
          > And ghost's adversity
          > Whose pleasing name
          > Was neighborly shame.
          > Before this last one
          > Was much to be done,
          > Frontiers to cross
          > As clothes grew worse
          > And coins to pass
          > In a cheaper house
          > Before this last one
          > Before this loved one.
          >
          > Face that the sun
          > Is supple on
          > May stir but here
          > Is no new year;
          > This gratitude for gifts is less
          > Than the old loss;
          > Touching is shaking hands
          > On mortgaged lands;
          > And smiling of
          > This gracious greeting
          > `Good day. Good luck'
          > Is no real meeting
          > But an instinctive look
          > A backward love.

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
            Tom, Mary,

            Thank you for your responses.

            Yes, like you both I do not favour violent revolution to overthrow our less-than-perfect liberal democracy. My fear would be that violent revolution would result in something much worse than what we have at present.

            I hope that citizens do start talking to each other more, and listening to the distorted messages of the media moguls less, and that regeneration of Western society from the bottom up can become a reality.

            I agree that Zizek can be provocative and playful in his writings and that it is probably not a good idea to take everything he writes as literal truth.

            I wish you both, and Wil and Bill and Louise and Knott and Irvin a happy and healthy new year, and my hope if that your posts will intrigue me, inspire me, annoy me, challenge me, and perplex me just as much in 2011, as they have done in 2010.

            Jim
          • tom
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
              Happy New Year Jim

              What is taken by violence usually has to be held by violence. To violently bring about regime change so many people must be killed, that a dictatorial police state must be maintained to deal with insurgents. And as more of them are killed or imprisoned, more revenge is bred. Incidentally I see the US mideast policy similar to that by its deaths and casualties inflicted, continually more terrorists are created.

              The longer I live the more I perceive philosophical or metaphysical paradigms as good or bad relative to the person in question. Paradigms that might be integrative and empowering to me might be the opposite for you.

              Peace
              Tom

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010

                > Tom, Mary,
                >
                > Thank you for your responses.
                >
                > Yes, like you both I do not favour violent revolution to overthrow our less-than-perfect liberal democracy. My fear would be that violent revolution would result in something much worse than what we have at present.
                >
                > I hope that citizens do start talking to each other more, and listening to the distorted messages of the media moguls less, and that regeneration of Western society from the bottom up can become a reality.
                >
                > I agree that Zizek can be provocative and playful in his writings and that it is probably not a good idea to take everything he writes as literal truth.
                >
                > I wish you both, and Wil and Bill and Louise and Knott and Irvin a happy and healthy new year, and my hope if that your posts will intrigue me, inspire me, annoy me, challenge me, and perplex me just as much in 2011, as they have done in 2010.
                >
                > Jim

                Jim,

                Good to hear from you. Each of the voices you mention is quite distinct, as is yours also, and I wish you in return a happy and healthy new year, and likewise extend these wishes to all those you mention and to Susan and CSW. Quite possibly C.Corey and Brent Irvine, and many others are still reading the list. There could be dozens, or even hundreds, who are regular readers, but it is impossible to tell, unless they pop up to tell us so...

                Happy New Year to all! Please feel free to add to the mix. We have nothing to lose but our ignorance.

                Louise
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
                  Mary,

                  I think you're right about Zizek's sense of play. And when he pooh-poohs democracy, I think it is "democracy" that he cringes about: that is to say the concept wrought with the symbolic entrapments that actually prescind from the notion what is truly democratic, leaving in its stead a bait and switch of unapparent compromises and structural detours.

                  Wil

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2010
                    I wish the same!!! Happy New Year, from New York.

                    Wil