Re: The Fifties Youth Revolution

  • dick.richardson@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      Re: The Fifties Youth Revolution

      [ My experience was quite a bit different. In 1956 I was living on a
      rather remote Kansas farm/ranch without electricity or indoor plumbing.
      I joined the Air Force in 1960 and after about a year of electronics
      training was stationed in Marin County, California as a weapons control
      mechanic, working on the radar and computer systems on an interceptor
      that carried infrared missiles and nuclear rockets. We were just a
      short distance from San Francisco and Sausalito was even closer. The
      folk scene and beat culture were all around, though it was years before
      I came to see it as a counter culture.

      You mention "Singing the Blues." The Guy Mitchell version was one of my
      favorite songs. Just a couple of days ago I heard another tune he did
      "Knee Deep in the Blues," but the version they played was the Marty
      Robbins cover from a few years later.

      DaveW ]

      Yes, the version I had, and sang, in those days was the Guy Mitchell
      version. It seems to be often the case that the first well known
      version of a song, or tune, turns out to be seldom the best and most
      popular version; but in some cases it stays the best and most popular
      version. I think they call it staying power :- ) I never heard a better
      version of that song anywhere. Perhaps the best example of that ever was
      in the case of the song Unchained Melody. The Righteous Brothers was
      not the first version of it by a long way, but it sure was the first
      big popular one. It still is. It must be one of the most recorded songs
      ever, in terms of pop music, hundreds of versions; and some really good
      ones, and many really bad ones; but that one is still the best loved,
      including by me. Some songs also do the rounds every five to ten years
      and keep coming back – that is real staying power.

      One of the things which I found fascinating when it comes to music on
      ones computer is the vast collection of versions of a song which one can
      listen to. I have only ever used two programs for that: iTunes (where
      one has to pay to download the song or bit of music; but it was very
      inexpensive) and the one that seems to be restricted to Europe only,
      Spotify. With Spotify one does not pay anything at all, but you do not
      download them; you listen to them on-line. You build your own music
      lists and you can share them with friends. It is pointless trying to
      compare those two ways of listening to music and songs because they are
      so different. I like them both and use them both every day (no not at
      the same time :- ) But, with iTunes then given the fact that one has
      to pay for them then I always listened to the bloody lot of them before
      paying for one. With some songs there are quite a few versions but with
      another song there are hundreds of versions :- ) So I used to plough
      through them all and listen to them all whilst working, and then buy
      the one which to me was the best. But I quit buying any more when
      Spotify came on the scene.

      One day, quite a few years ago now, somebody asked me to do a list of my
      favourite bits of classical music. So I thought, OK, Easy. But by the
      time I got to three hundred bits I thought sod this and quit :- ) I
      never tried to do the same thing with songs; but the top favourites
      would run into many hundreds :- ) If ever I was asked to do that radio
      program Desert Island Disks, where you had to choose eight pieces of
      music then I would have to tell them to sod orf :- ) But it is a good
      test. Imagine that for the rest of your life you could only listen to
      ONE piece of classical music and ONE pop song – then which would
      you choose? Tis one hell of a thing to have to do isn't it. But IF
      I HAD to do it then the choice would be: Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on
      a Theme of Thomas Tallis: and The Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody.
      But the fun bit is that one can listen to them all in ones head. I had
      a thing with music in that I only had to hear a bit once and it was in
      there writ in mental cement :- ) Whereas I could learn to spell a
      word a hundred times, and then forget it and still not be able to spell
      it :- ) It is a waste of time my trying to learn how to spell :- )
      But I can hear music at any time, whether it is out there or not. True,
      it is best if it is out there, and then one can join in with it.

      Ref your comment about living up to 1960 without electricity and running
      water there in the USA, then the only time I have experienced that is
      when out camping in tent. Electricity and running water were standard
      on the scene when I was born in 1938. You went from the Country to the
      Town but I went from the Town to the Country when I was seventeen, by
      choice :- ) Far from the maddening crowd :- ) But I still had
      electricity and running water, even way out in the middle of nowhere :-
      ) But this is a tiny place and North America is Continent. They do
      say that it is getting four inches further away from Britain each year;
      but I have never measured it :- ) I wonder what life here will be like
      in a thousand years time. Cant imagine it.

      Dick