The British adopted American Music?

  • dick.richardson@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2010
      The British adopted American Music?

      [ the British adopted American music ]

      You folks really do make me laugh, you are so bloody nationalistic
      minded. Human beings live on many lumps of dry land here, and they are
      all the bloody same thing. Some might be green, black, blue, yellow,
      red, brown, pink with orange dots but they are all this thing that walks
      on two legs. What the hell difference does it make which lump of sod
      they are dwelling on?

      As for the beings that dwelt on the lump of sod which they call Britain
      adopting music from the content of North America I think that you might
      find that the people on this little island, and all over the world,
      were making music about ten thousand years before North America was
      discovered Ma'am. When it comes to wartime then Britons did not
      adopt American music, it was a case that there was virtual sod all else
      to listen to in the English Language. Folks (from Italy I think it was)
      invented this thing called radio, and one could blast music through it.
      And within a few years you could hear it all from all over the globe
      – with a good antenna. The alternative was to go to a concert. Who
      the hell could afford to go to a concert? The place had been blown up
      anyway. Concerts my arse.

      So we tuned in to the American Forces Network, and la she blows. There
      were only three songs during the war and two of them were from Germany:
      Silent Night and Lilly Marlene. The other one was from the USA called
      Moonlight Serenade. So you did not adopt it, it was just THERE IT
      WAS. The alternative was Knees up Mother Brown. You sang what you
      heard. Funnily enough the two songs which I sang most one came from
      Australia and one from South Africa: Waltzing Matilda and, oh shit what
      was the other one called again; oh me mind has gone blank, but it was a
      lovely little song; Oh I have got it; My Sarie Marais
      [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOUoW58SFA
      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOUoW58SFA> ] I still sing them now
      :-) And I play Moonlight Serenade on the Organ or Keyboard with the
      same registrations as they used to use. Then, after the war came the
      big thing – Radio Luxemburg. The kids used to tune in every
      evening; non stop all the best songs around. Music has no nationality,
      it is universal as is love. Strange isn't that all the armies of
      all the nations were singing the same few songs. They stopped fighting
      for a while to join up and sing Silent Night. I still sing it in
      German now. Then of course, a great love here is Celtic music. That
      tugs at the strings.

      So the idea that Britons adopted American music is a very parochial and
      nationalistic comment. And it aint true. Man is man, and music is music,
      and love is love; no matter from where; and that is it.

      Merlin